Chat-gtp Concern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gundelfingen

Reaction score
I have concern over using chat-gtp over my essay. I know there is AI detector nowadays.
I talked to a physician in my office. He said now med school relied on the recommendation letter and I'd better send an email to admission office to ask for the AI issue. I know AMCAS said as long as it reflects the truth it's fine. Even after repeated editing, I used AI detector and find out my essays have AI content. I am very concerned about it. Should I retract my application? Overall, the AI issue is controversial but not like plagiarism since it's still in the grey zone. I don't know should I retract my application or not.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on how much you used it. Was it just editing/grammar or was it the entire thing?

Those AI detectors are very unreliable for now, but most humans can tell when something is AI generated, especially if they are reading hundreds of applications at the same time.

Reactions: 1 user
Depends on how much you used it. Was it just editing/grammar or was it the entire thing?

Those AI detectors are very unreliable for now, but most humans can tell when something is AI generated, especially if they are reading hundreds of applications at the same time.
Sure, I draft the original text and used chat-gtp to polish the language. All story is mine and true, and it's repeated edited, but AI detector still shows the pattern is AI-generated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps having someone strong in writing review your essay instead of chat gpt would alleviate your concerns. My mom reviews some of my essays, and her recommendations are more human-like and better overall. Ultimately, you want to write well and be human. I feel like chat gpt just takes the human out of it and makes you sound to roboty and unauthentic. My two cents.

Reactions: 1 users
I have concern over using chat-gtp over my essay. I know there is AI detector nowadays.
I talked to a physician in my office. He said now med school relied on the recommendation letter and I'd better send an email to admission office to ask for the AI issue. I know AMCAS said as long as it reflects the truth it's fine. Even after repeated editing, I used AI detector and find out my essays have AI content. I am very concerned about it. Should I retract my application? Overall, the AI issue is controversial but not like plagiarism since it's still in the grey zone. I don't know should I retract my application or not.
Retracting your app has some consequences in that it could very well come up later along the line. Chat GPT has some killer suggestions if you tinker with it enough & know how to phrase your requests

For example: "Give me a bullet pointed list of better re-phrases for "_insert phrase_" from this sentence: "_insert sentence_"

Lately tho, that method has been more hit or miss. I remember it being a lot better a year ago, as surprising as that is

It's really good at picking up on grammar, punctuation, and spelling errors. Other than that dont use it to do assignments, write essays, or anything else that you would traditionally do from scratch.

Reactions: 2 users
Do you want an ethical answer or a pragmatic one? Ethically speaking, if you used ChatGPT to write major parts of your essay(s), you should retract it.

Pragmatically speaking, there's an honor statement regarding ChatGPT you have to agree to when you submit to AMCAS and most secondaries, but it's anyone's guess how schools are actually enforcing it. As others have said, certain app reviewers could toss your app aside if they suspect it was written in part by ChatGPT. I don't think they can blackmark your entire application from AMCAS since they would have to prove you definitively used it, and that is simply not possible at this time (to the best of my knowledge). Essentially you will be rolling the dice at each school that no one picks up on this sort of writing at each step of the app process: when reviewers decide you get an interview, when interviewers read your application, and when your app is discussed before a decision is made (I understand this is usually pretty brief but if anyone skims over the essays in questions, they could notice it).

You could try to reach out to schools from an unaffiliated email, but I suspect they would refer you to their readily available honor code agreements.

Actually AI is allowed in AMCAS primaries. That's why I was confused.
AMCAS certification said: I certify that all my writing, including personal comments, essays for MD-PhD applicants, and descriptions of work/activities, is my own. Although I may utilize mentors, peers, advisors, and/or AI tools for brainstorming, proofreading, or editing, my final submission is a true reflection of my own work and represents my experiences. I acknowledge that no changes can be made after submission and will thoroughly proofread my work. Quotations are allowed if I cite the source.
By the way, by another detector my AMCAS is 0% AI (Someone is right, AI detector is not trustworthy). So pragmatically and ethically, I will drop all AI's in secondary.
Also one more thing interesting, admission essays are not academic work, because you cannot hire a writer to write your homework or exam. However, there are plenty college admission consulting companies for essay editing. Here, AI serves as a free service to help students. If AI is banned in admission essay totally but allows consulting companies, it's a discrimination against economically disadvantaged candidates. I think that's the logic behind AMCAS, which is also more reasonable approach to this new technology.

Last edited:
Also one more thing interesting, admission essays are not academic work, because you cannot hire a writer to write your homework or exam. However, there are plenty college admission consulting companies for essay editing. Here, AI serves as a free service to help students. If AI is banned in admission essay totally but allows consulting companies, it's a discrimination against economically disadvantaged candidates. I think that's the logic behind AMCAS, which is also more reasonable approach to this new technology.
I don't necessarily disagree with your statements at the end, though I can see how my previous response came strongly against AI use (I meant to express an objective view).
Actually AI is allowed in AMCAS primaries. That's why I was confused.
AMCAS certification said: I certify that all my writing, including personal comments, essays for MD-PhD applicants, and descriptions of work/activities, is my own. Although I may utilize mentors, peers, advisors, and/or AI tools for brainstorming, proofreading, or editing, my final submission is a true reflection of my own work and represents my experiences. I acknowledge that no changes can be made after submission and will thoroughly proofread my work. Quotations are allowed if I cite the source.
I guess it depends on how extensively you've used AI. I'm not sure how much you've "polished the language" with ChatGPT, but I wouldn't say generating an entire essay or rewriting large parts of it with AI (even with your ideas) is what those authors had in mind by saying brainstorming, editing, or proofreading is allowed. If what you've done is just minor grammar/punctuation editing, then I wouldn't think twice about it.
By the way, by another detector my AMCAS is 0% AI (Someone is right, AI detector is not trustworthy). So pragmatically and ethically, I will drop all AI's in secondary.
If your essay sounds like it was written by AI (common buzz words, repetition of phrases, flow of introduction and conclusion, etc.), I can easily see reviewers marking your application down regardless of a score obtained from running your text through Netus.ai, GPTZero, etc. because of how inconsistent those are. In any case, it seems like you've made up your mind, so I'll rest my case here.