Director of Admissions Chat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ayoooooosauce

Reaction score
As a reapplicant, I reached out to the schools I was waitlisted at last cycle to get some feedback before I continue moving forward in this current cycle. I was offered a meeting with the Director of Admissions in a group setting in a Q and A style. I was wondering what questions I should ask and brainstorm especially as it seems like it won't be personalized feedback given a group setting? Thank you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Is this a school where you were waitlisted? What is the format, if you saw a "Q&A" group setting? Is this online or in-person (I'm guessing online: so is it video chat with cameras on?) When is this?

It sounds like you might not be able to get personalized advice specific to why your application "failed".

Reactions: 1 user
Is this a school where you were waitlisted? What is the format, if you saw a "Q&A" group setting? Is this online or in-person (I'm guessing online: so is it video chat with cameras on?) When is this?

It sounds like you might not be able to get personalized advice specific to why your application "failed".
Yes I was WL this past cycle! The format is "round table" group reapplicant Q and A session online. Seems like from the wording it would be a small group discussion. Yeah I am a little bummed that I won't be able to get personalized feedback but was wondering if you had any question/topic suggestions. Definitely will still go as I want to be on their radar for this year, but finding it hard to come up with non-personal reapplication questions

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I was WL this past cycle! The format is "round table" group reapplicant Q and A session online. Seems like from the wording it would be a small group discussion. Yeah I am a little bummed that I won't be able to get personalized feedback but was wondering if you had any question/topic suggestions. Definitely will still go as I want to be on their radar for this year, but finding it hard to come up with non-personal reapplication questions
How many in the chat? The important part is that each person should get 1 chance or question. I don't know what technology is being used or whether questions are upvoted, but I anticipate certain topics will be addressed by the admissions staff: how competitive the pool actually was (GPA/MCAT), what qualities are revealed in desirable applicants (check mission fit), and the importance of getting a complete application early. If they use SJT's, they'll deflect on these questions unless the adcom is prepared to put their practice on the record.

What are specific concerns you have that you think would be relevant to others who will be participating in the round table? Those are the most effective questions and make the Director of Admissions happy (speaking as one). Treat the experience like a recruitment fair event. Give everyone a chance and hope their questions are relevant to you.

Reactions: 1 users
Update: it will be me and another student so fairly intimate session with the director. Given that what topics would be appreciated to talk about/ask about? I don't want to be too redundant with like information that could be found on the website and I also want to dig deeper into getting more insight as a reapplicant like about the overall process itself. Thanks for your help -- maybe overthinking about this but definitely to leave a good impression

Update: it will be me and another student so fairly intimate session with the director. Given that what topics would be appreciated to talk about/ask about? I don't want to be too redundant with like information that could be found on the website and I also want to dig deeper into getting more insight as a reapplicant like about the overall process itself. Thanks for your help -- maybe overthinking about this but definitely to leave a good impression
My questions still stand... it depends on what you need to know to succeed next time/this time.

As a reapplicant, I reached out to the schools I was waitlisted at last cycle to get some feedback before I continue moving forward in this current cycle. I was offered a meeting with the Director of Admissions in a group setting in a Q and A style. I was wondering what questions I should ask and brainstorm especially as it seems like it won't be personalized feedback given a group setting? Thank you guys!
Sounds like you interviewed at the schools (waitlisted) so generally, there isn't much to tell applicants following an interview. We are not going to discuss the specifics of the interview and feedback from the interviewers. If you were granted an interview, it sounds like your application itself was fine. The interview wasn't as strong in comparison to the hundreds/thousands interviewed. That may not help much but that's why admissions directors/deans do not offer individual meetings, especially for interviewed applicants.

I have a hypothetical question: If you reject an admission to an MD school one cycle, is that a detriment to you in later cycles?

I have a hypothetical question: If you reject an admission to an MD school one cycle, is that a detriment to you in later cycles?
Yes. It's probably the worst possible thing you could do unless you have a really good reason.

I would like to know:
1) what are ways to stand out in an interview - what is that certain je ne sais quoi that makes one interviewee seen as exceptional and another just get an ok score
2) what are ways to prepare for an interview at your school (similar to 1 as in "what are you looking for."
3) are there specific things in a secondary app that you really like to see (avoid seeing), looking at school X's secondary questions
4) if I were to rewind by 6 months, what could we have done differently as applicants
5) is it really a game of luck in the end, or are all decisions really thought out (ie are they flipping a coin between 5 almost exactly identical applicants or are they still looking at things in the minutest detail to choose the right person for the spot).

Reactions: 1 user
I would like to know:
1) what are ways to stand out in an interview - what is that certain je ne sais quoi that makes one interviewee seen as exceptional and another just get an ok score
2) what are ways to prepare for an interview at your school (similar to 1 as in "what are you looking for."
3) are there specific things in a secondary app that you really like to see (avoid seeing), looking at school X's secondary questions
4) if I were to rewind by 6 months, what could we have done differently as applicants
5) is it really a game of luck in the end, or are all decisions really thought out (ie are they flipping a coin between 5 almost exactly identical applicants or are they still looking at things in the minutest detail to choose the right person for the spot).
"Fake" responses (maybe you'll get a version of this that is a bit more serious):

1) In-person or virtual? Formal or informal interactions (because that counts too)?
2) Interview Feedback Database, SDN school-specific forums archive, network with students at your desired school before applying or your interview, website. If it's an MMI school, you'll probably hear "you can't really prepare, so just be yourself."
3) actually answering the question directly without overspinning would really help. Succinctness, grammar, and spelling.
4) Starting earlier
5) It's not like flipping a coin or picking up ping-pong balls, but it is a subjective enough process that trying to make transactional or deductive conclusions is futile.