How can I help you? (advice/chat)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

my existential crisis

Reaction score
Hi! I was recently accepted into two schools for the 2024-2025 academic year. I have some free time at work and would love to offer any advice that I can.

Some background information on me (maybe you'll resonate with it!): I graduated early with my mechanical engineering degree (non-trad applicant) and studied for the MCAT on and off for five months after taking my first MCAT on New Year's Day, 2023 (497). I used Anki to study, primarily did practice questions (correcting them after completing), and read passages weekly. I took four practice exams in the two weeks leading up to my exam (May 26,2023) and ended up scoring a 516 (129/126/129/132) after my highest score of a 512 on the AAMC practice exams (avg. was about a 509).

I was recently accepted to UofSC SOM - Greenville and UofSC SOM - Columbia. As of right now, I plan on going to Greenville with my girlfriend (who also got accepted to Greenville, and yes we applied together this cycle knowing we might not get into the same school).

I have no solid idea what I want to specialize in. I like to read doctor's memoirs and tend to gravitate toward the specialty I just read about (just finished reading "When the Air Hits Your Brain" and "Everything All at Once," and now I want to do something with neurosurgery/oncology. But who knows. It was psychiatry a year ago after I read "The Body Keeps the Score" and then transitioned to Critical Care after I read "The Real Doctor Will See You Now."

Let me know in any way how I can help you if you need! Whether that's questions about my MCAT journey, pre-med journey, interview experiences, etc., I want to give back to others since I am so fortunate.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
It might be early, but are you volunteering for "Ask Me Anything"?

Did you read Goro’s Guide to Medi al School Success yet?

Have a sticker! Congratulations!

Attachments

• 20231009_134254_0000.png
    20231009_134254_0000.png
    127.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations on your acceptances!! What do you think got you those extra points on test day? That is amazing you scored four points higher than your highest and a lot higher than your average!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It might be early, but are you volunteering for "Ask Me Anything"?

Did you read Goro’s Guide to Medi al School Success yet?

Have a sticker! Congratulations!
Yes (to ask me anything), but no, I have not read that guide yet! I'll put that on my "to read" list

Congratulations on your acceptances!! What do you think got you those extra points on test day? That is amazing you scored four points higher than your highest and a lot higher than your average!
Honestly, I think it was taking four practice exams leading up to the MCAT. It was on a Friday (May 26th), and my girlfriend and I went to the bottom floor of our university's library (it was dark with no natural light down there) and took a practice exam two Monday's before (May 15th), corrected it the day after, took another practice exam two Wednesday's before (May 17th) and corrected it the day after, took another the Friday before (May 19th) and corrected it the day after, and then took one more the Monday before (May 22nd) and corrected it the day after.

The biggest thing I gained from that was practicing my endurance in the conditions of the actual MCAT, so I didn't falter when I went into that dark and ominous test prep room on May 26th. Additionally, I ate really well the weeks leading up, rested as much as I could, and drank a blonde roast from Starbucks the morning of. Besides the caffeine, the pressure of doing well on the exam inadvertently helped me, not hurt me. I had to trust myself after entering in each answer, because honestly, the real MCAT felt easier than all the other practice exams I took (including the AAMC ones).

Overall, it was a combination of endurance *training* and high-stakes that led me to achieving a high score.