cheap hotels in philly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curlykid

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone have any suggestions of cheap hotels in philly? preferably close to Penn. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Priceline.com

Members don't see this ad :)
only do this if you are looking to get tortured and killed by a one of the many killers here in Philadelphia.

That option is a murder waiting to happen....:smuggrin::thumbdown:
Are you being serious, riceman? I've heard great things from friends who have CouchSurfed.

I guess it depends on what you consider "cheap". There are relatively few, if any cheap hotels, in university or center city. The one so the university recommends start at around $275/night. If you stay out at the airport and take the train in to the 30th street station, you can get something cheaper.

There are a couple of nice boutique, European type hotels in university center: The Lathan and The Gables. Probably still around $125-$150 but much cheaper than anything else in the area.

does anyone have any suggestions of cheap hotels in philly? preferably close to Penn. thanks!

Closest hotel at UPenn is the Sheraton University City Hotel. I've stayed here before...its right by campus. The hotel is pretty nice and there are restaurants and quickmarts around. I've stayed here before for $110 a night or so. I think they also have a discount deal with the university.

Another excellent place is Club Quarters in Center City (in the low $100 range, maybe if u pick the right dates even in the $90 range,and its very nice). Its a nice area, a shopping mall right across the street and in the downtown area. You can easily take the subway to the UPenn medical campus...there is a station you can get off at 1-2 blocks from the school.

You really want to make sure you stay in the right areas...the city can be a bit sketchy.

If you have the entertainment book, you could call the Holiday Inn at the Historic district. I stayed there for ~$100/night (half price). I think this rate might also be for people saying that they are interviewing for med school, but that I'm not sure about. The only downside is that you need to take a cab over there, but the area is definitely safe.

Are you being serious, riceman? I've heard great things from friends who have CouchSurfed.

Actually, after reading the front page of that site with the posting of "last seen:" I would also get that same idea at first glance.

Curlykid, check out International House, Philly! It's literally a stones throw away...37th and Chestnut. One block from Sheraton.

http://www.ihousephilly.org/living-housing-options-rates.htm

$75/night
private room but you share the bathrooms and kitchen. If you're visiting Penn in the summer, the building is half empty.

I'm a long term resident at I-House, so if you have any questions, PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Closest hotel at UPenn is the Sheraton University City Hotel. I've stayed here before...its right by campus. The hotel is pretty nice and there are restaurants and quickmarts around. I've stayed here before for $110 a night or so. I think they also have a discount deal with the university.

Another excellent place is Club Quarters in Center City (in the low $100 range, maybe if u pick the right dates even in the $90 range,and its very nice). Its a nice area, a shopping mall right across the street and in the downtown area. You can easily take the subway to the UPenn medical campus...there is a station you can get off at 1-2 blocks from the school.

You really want to make sure you stay in the right areas...the city can be a bit sketchy.

No!!!!! Actually, the closest is the Inn at Penn (Owned by the Hilton)...sits on Walnut St. (it is where POD is located)

There are no immediate hotels in University City, or atleast I haven't found any over the past 2 years living here. Trolley ride into center city is about 20 mins. You should be able to find cheap and expensive rooms there. If I was at my apartment I may have considered letting you crash, but I'm at home, sorry.

Huh!!!!:confused::confused::confused::confused:
What have you been smoking?

There are no immediate hotels in University City, or atleast I haven't found any over the past 2 years living here..

Huh? There are several hotels in University City.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/ (Sheraton University City)

http://www1.hilton.com:80/en_US/hi/...-at-Penn-A-Hilton-Hotel-Pennsylvania/index.do (The Inn at Penn, a Hilton property)

http://www.gablesbb.com/ (The Gables I mentioned above)

http://philadelphia.about.com/gi/dy...ties.upenn.edu/mapsBldgs/view_bldg.php3?id=96 (Penn Tower, on campus)

No!!!!! Actually, the closest is the Inn at Penn (Owned by the Hilton)...sits on Walnut St. (it is where POD is located)

My apologies....one of the closer ones. :cool:

S'ok...was just worried you might never leave your apartment and actually walk around University city.:laugh:

Its usually in a stupor :scared:: classes, rough night, or volunteering at HUP. But yeah, I don't usually get down Walnut unless I'm hitting up the grocery store that is a block away from me. I live in West U.City, by USP, not Penn. Its not far away, but not always there.

In regard to POD, I thought that was in Center City (15th?) and Penne was attached to the Inn at Penn?

If your going for an interview, why not stay with a student?

Four Seasons

Ritz Carlton

Those are the two cheapest i can think of

Its usually in a stupor :scared:: classes, rough night, or volunteering at HUP. But yeah, I don't usually get down Walnut unless I'm hitting up the grocery store that is a block away from me. I live in West U.City, by USP, not Penn. Its not far away, but not always there.

In regard to POD, I thought that was in Center City (15th?) and Penne was attached to the Inn at Penn?

Penne is actually a hotel restaraunt. POD is just leasing part of the Inn at Penn Space.

So you are a volunteer over at HUP. What dept....ER, Rads, etc...?