Cheap schools with risky deadline, or $$$$ school with safe deadline?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

liftthingsupanddown

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here's the conundrum:

I'm applying to schools in TN, almost all of which have ED. So I must pick one of these and apply ED, as most of them fill up very quickly.

One of the schools, TSU, will cost me "only" ~$55k total to attend, but the issue is that they need a summer course grade from me which my teacher refuses to enter until literally days before the ED deadline. Everything would have to go PERFECTLY for me to get that grade to PTCAS via overnight mail.

The other school Belmont is very selective (avg. 3.8 gpa), and also very expensive. However, they do not need that summer course from me and I can apply as soon as I take my GRE (I know, this is all contingent upon a decent GRE score, but that aside...)

My stats:
University of Iowa 2012
cGPA: 3.6
pre-GPA: 4.0
Observation: Over 800 because I'm a full-time PT tech for an outpatient clinic. But I only have like 10 inpatient hours...
Experience: 3 years high school teacher. 1 year as personal trainer, 1 year as PT-Tech.
GRE: Yet to take it, because of some issues that came up. But I'm scheduled for July 23rd and right now my practice tests are about 153/150 v/q.


TL/DR: So do I risk missing the ED deadline for the cheaper school, or do I go up against the odds and apply to the more selective/expensive school?

Though Belmont is hella expensive, me missing the TSU deadline and not getting in anywhere would put me out another year from a DPT salary. That means I'd spend another year as a tech ($20k/year), which is an opportunity cost of maybe $40,000 (assuming I'd make around $60k as a PT). And 40K is probably close to the difference between TSU and Belmont's tuition. Not sure if that makes sense....

Rant over.
 
Last edited:
Those are probably the two schools in TN that I would stay away from. Have heard from numerous people that TSU has been on and off of probation for their accreditation multiple times. And you are right about Belmont with their tuition being ridiculously expensive. I have worked personally with multiple students from both UTHSC in Memphis and from ETSU and both seemed very well prepared and all of them passed their licensure exams (one from UTHSC with a perfect score). UTC also has a good program from what I've heard but I haven't worked with any students from the program.
 
Those are probably the two schools in TN that I would stay away from. Have heard from numerous people that TSU has been on and off of probation for their accreditation multiple times. And you are right about Belmont with their tuition being ridiculously expensive. I have worked personally with multiple students from both UTHSC in Memphis and from ETSU and both seemed very well prepared and all of them passed their licensure exams (one from UTHSC with a perfect score). UTC also has a good program from what I've heard but I haven't worked with any students from the program.

Unfortunately I don't have the right number of pre-reqs complete to apply to UTC or ETSU (exercise phys.). I'm looking into to UTHSC, but I don't really want to leave Nashville as I'm trying to stay close to my girlfriend whom I currently live with -she's still a student at Vanderbilt. "Long distance" between Nash. and Memphis wouldn't be impossible though...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's just my two cents about the situation. If you get at least a 300 on the GRE with a good writing score you will be competitive to get into UTHSC. It's a lot cheaper than Belmont (comparable tuition to TSU I think) and they haven't been on probation or anything like that. More than Likely TSU will not lose their accreditation, but it's something to consider that they have been on probation at least once.
 
Unfortunately I don't have the right number of pre-reqs complete to apply to UTC or ETSU (exercise phys.). I'm looking into to UTHSC, but I don't really want to leave Nashville as I'm trying to stay close to my girlfriend whom I currently live with -she's still a student at Vanderbilt. "Long distance" between Nash. and Memphis wouldn't be impossible though...
The vast majority of schools will let you apply with an outstanding pre-req. Check their website, but you can likely apply and register to take ex phys in the fall or probably even spring.
 
I would call the admissions offices of the schools and ask for their individual advice directly. You're only going to get best guesses here.
 
The vast majority of schools will let you apply with an outstanding pre-req. Check their website, but you can likely apply and register to take ex phys in the fall or probably even spring.

I'm talking about schools that say "75% of science prerequisites MUST be done by the time of application," or something along those lines. The schools in Tennessee all have requirements on what must be done by application.