Cheap schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MightyHerro

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Besides Rutgers (NJ resident) what are some cheap schools I should be looking at? NYU is very appealing but the costs are way too intimidating. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

No such thing as a “cheap” dental school! Check the ADEA official guide to dental schools for pricing info though

Why is NYU appealing? What are your stats? Uconn, Temple, Penn, Stony Brook, and thats just in the area

Members don't see this ad :)
Why is NYU appealing? What are your stats? Uconn, Temple, Penn, Stony Brook, and thats just in the area

As of right now I just have a 3.88 cGPA. I haven't taken my DATs yet. I have tons of volunteering hours and a leadership position with a non-profit. I can go into detail about my experiences if needed. Asian, but from an inner city low income household.

Penn is one of the most expensive schools in the nation. While I agree that it's an east coast school worth looking at, it certainly isn't "cheap", if that's what OP is looking for. (Tuition & Fees | DMD Program | Academic Programs & Admissions | Penn Dental School)

Agree, but at least there are scholarships there. NYU will be a fortune and there aren't any scholarships that I know of. I personally would not want to go to penn, but its a much better option than NYU imho. I do agree that its expensive though. All the other options are great options, but OP has t have a broad view, that was my point.

hmm, Touro is 30K cheaper per year than NYU. Not sure on Buffalo Out of State prices, but its the cheapest in the north east from what I know

Reactions: 1 user
Agree, but at least there are scholarships there. NYU will be a fortune and there aren't any scholarships that I know of. I personally would not want to go to penn, but its a much better option than NYU imho. I do agree that its expensive though. All the other options are great options, but OP has t have a broad view, that was my point.

How about Harvard and UCSF? Rutgers is definitely my top choice!

When are you taking the dat?

I plan on taking it in the end of May or mid June. I want to apply for the next cycle. Do you think this would be too late? I want to be able to study throughout this semester.

I plan on taking it in the end of May or mid June. I want to apply for the next cycle. Do you think this would be too late? I want to be able to study throughout this semester.

Rutgers was my top option as well (NJ resident) and thankfully I was accepted. If I were you I would try to join the Gateway to Dentistry program since you will meet the adcoms there and they will read your application knowing who you are. The cycle opens in May this year so just be prepared for that. Idk that it will affect you because I’m sure schools will have to get acclimated to opening a month earlier, something they aren’t used to.

Rutgers was my top option as well (NJ resident) and thankfully I was accepted. If I were you I would try to join the Gateway to Dentistry program since you will meet the adcoms there and they will read your application knowing who you are. The cycle opens in May this year so just be prepared for that. Idk that it will affect you because I’m sure schools will have to get acclimated to opening a month earlier, something they aren’t used to.

Just to check with you, taking my DATs in mid June wouldn't be too late would it? I plan on finishing the rest of my app prior to that however.

Pitt, Temple, Marquette, OSU (give a lot of scholarships I think) off the top of my head

Pitt seems really nice, I would definitely apply there! Not too sure about Marquette, just because I did my undergrad at that state and need a change in scenery. On average is dental school more expensive than medical school?

Where did you see that applications open up in May this year?