Cheapest Airlines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chauffeur

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
for those of us who are planning on doing some significant traveling for interviews, can we start a list of cheap airlines (and reliability should be factoring in, but i can spare the food and leg space)

jet blue
southwest
others?

Members don't see this ad.

chauffeur said:
for those of us who are planning on doing some significant traveling for interviews, can we start a list of cheap airlines (and reliability should be factoring in, but i can spare the food and leg space)

jet blue
southwest
others?

america west is usually pretty cheap

but really, if you get your tickets early enough, the costs shouldn't be too different...

I'm waiting until the first week of November or so...I figure, by then, most of the invites will have come in, so I can start planning my December/January interview trails.

Amy said:
Orbitz has a sale going on right now for a bunch of airlines. I think you have to book soon, though.

An Orbitz trick - look for your flight on Orbitz; they'll tell you which airline and the times. Take the cheapest one (or a cheaper one), and go to that airline's website, and play around a little with the flight times. It's HIGHLY likely you'll swing a better deal.

Also check out this site,

http://www.bestfares.com/home.asp

its recommended by clark howard (a consumer help talk show)

just click on the quickfare finder, you have to do the booking yourself but it gives you all the codes and stuff....

its been consistently about 30-50 dollars cheapter the orbitz or travelocity...i think they also have something about membership, but i'm not sure...

later :thumbup:

I highly recommend www.priceline.com I got flight from KC - Dallas for $115, and hotel at the Hyatt regency for $40!! From now on, thats all I'm using. :thumbup:

Semi-useful link: http://www.cheap-flights-guide.com/north-american-budget-airlines.html

I've heard Priceline is great if you have flexibility (i.e. arriving the day before the interview and leaving the day after). I've also heard to bid much lower than you think they'll take, then re-bid in increments until they take it.

Also, don't forget about the AAMC 5% off deal with American Airlines. It's usually the best deal if you book early enough, even cheaper than the budget airlines.

I just got Phx - Chicago roundtrip on Southwest for $167 including fees.

Hotwire works well for me....also try getting multi-city tickets on Orbitz---you can get a good deal.

drgirl said:
Hotwire works well for me....also try getting multi-city tickets on Orbitz---you can get a good deal.
I can't do hotwire because I generally have too many time contraints. I've also never found Orbitz to have better prices than Expedia, sometimes worse, and I don't like their website format as much. But that's just me.

I've had really good luck with Expedia in general, I just save the flight I want (again, time constraints) as an itinerary and then go back and check the price change every so often and book when it goes way down. They also do multi-city tickets.

gwyn779 said:
I've also never found Orbitz to have better prices than Expedia, sometimes worse, and I don't like their website format as much. But that's just me.
I just booked a flight from DC to Madison, WI and Expedia once again had the lowest prices. Their cheapest flight was $166 whereas Orbitz and everyone else had the same flight (same airline and times) listed at $250. Doesn't happen all the time, but thought I'd share.

Random question - but when renting a car do you usually opt to buy the "extra insurance" that they offer, or is your own car insurance enough? Last time I rented the guy talked me into getting their insurance and I felt like I was being ripped off.

Don't get their insurance. It is a waste of money.

www.sidestep.com

most of the bigger sites DON'T include southwest, jet blue, etc, in their algorythm - this one does

also, I have had much better success c hotwire than c priceline, esp for hotels and cars. I have never found either terribly helpful for flights, because of the inability to confirm times prior to purchase

Hova2005 said:
Random question - but when renting a car do you usually opt to buy the "extra insurance" that they offer, or is your own car insurance enough? Last time I rented the guy talked me into getting their insurance and I felt like I was being ripped off.

It is a rip-off. Usually your own insurance covers rental cars or the credit card that you use to book the rental provides rental-car coverage. Check with both.