Cheating

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pennvet, not a personal shot, but I don't really care for your argument. Your well on your way to being a Veterinarian. One of the responsibilities of being a vet is promotion of both animal welfare as well as human welfare/rights.

As a vet, would you not report someone who is mistreating their animal(s), even though you are 99% sure they are?

Would you not approach a colleague who is performing surgeries while inebriated?

An institution that is dumping medical waste/sharps in public landfills.

Integrity and social responsibilities do not being after you get 'VMD' after your name.

Oh god, here goes the "non-conformist" again. Have you ever seen "The Great Lebowski"?

I see you as one of those guys...the nihilists, or whatever they call themselves.

Members don't see this ad.

Just to toss another piece of tinder on the fire -

I have only personally dealt with one individual who was cheating. She was cheating (and talking quite vocally about it) to pass with a C-. Horrible student, she had no clue what we'd even covered in the class (hadn't attended lectures, had a C- going into the final, didn't even understand things that you needed to know going into it). So she wasn't someone who honestly cared but struggled. It sounded like this was pretty common for her - she had a <2.0 grade point, and had cheated to get that.

I didn't turn her in. Maybe I should have, but the class itself had a really REALLY horrible professor who was mean, vindictive, intimidating, and pretty much a terrible professor in every way (no idea how he's still at the university - it's not just me talking with a personal gripe. He HATES undergrads, and isn't afraid to let you know that).

Now, with a 2.0, she's probably not going to go on to anything higher than undergrad.

Like I said, I wish now that I had said something, since it was obviously a pattern - but my question is this -

Does it make a difference, to you, if someone is cheating to simply pass versus cheating to get a good grade?

Members don't see this ad :)
:corny:

"LAAAADEES AND GENTLEMEN, IT'S TIME FOR...CHEATING SMACKDOWN!!!"

Does it make a difference, to you, if someone is cheating to simply pass versus cheating to get a good grade?
Nope; if you have to cheat to pass you don't deserve to pass, and if you cheat to get an A instead of a B you don't deserve the A.

Oh god, here goes the "non-conformist" again. Have you ever seen "The Great Lebowski"?

I see you as one of those guys...the nihilists, or whatever they call themselves.

I could be wrong, but I seem to be missing the well-reasoned argument contained in this response.

argumentum ad hominem: the fallacy of attacking the character or circumstances of an individual who is advancing a statement or an argument instead of trying to disprove the truth of the statement or the soundness of the argument. Often the argument is characterized simply as a personal attack.

Nihilism?! Really? You could have guessed existentialism and been closer (and still so wrong).

I am glad that someone out there is actually reading their word of the day calender.

I cant wait to see tomorrows word.

I am glad that someone out there is actually reading their word of the day calender.

I cant wait to see tomorrows word.

Kinda OT but... I don't have a word of the day calendar, but I do enjoy getting the daily emails from dictionary.com, today's word is 'nativity'.

:D For your further enjoyment.

I could be wrong, but I seem to be missing the well-reasoned argument contained in this response.

I wouldn't set your expectations too high...

Don't you guys know you're not supposed to feed trolls? :rolleyes:

And completely OT, Merry Christmas! :D