Check-in Time Lag

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheElement

Being Lazzy
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How early before the test should we arrive at the test center? I've been hearing stuff about one hour but wouldn't that just give you more time to get nervous waiting for the test?

Members don't see this ad.

How early before the test should we arrive at the test center? I've been hearing stuff about one hour but wouldn't that just give you more time to get nervous waiting for the test?

depends on the center...they will normally check you in and let you begin once you arrive. i arrived at 7am and they were just beginning the check-in process. i started my exam at 10 til 8.

I'd suggest arriving about half an hour early. When you arrive they have to check you in which involves fingerprinting, etc. and it takes a little while to go through the process. Arriving early means waiting less.

In my personal experience, I arrived about 30 minutes early, was able to get checked in right away, and was even able to begin the test about 15 minutes early which means I got out of there before everyone else. Good deal.

If you start early, is it disturbing with everyone else coming in? I guess it's a good thing overall because you don't have to worry about hearing typing during your verbal section.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you start early, is it disturbing with everyone else coming in? I guess it's a good thing overall because you don't have to worry about hearing typing during your verbal section.

it all depends, and you have to remember, no matter when you start, you will always hear door opening/closing...think of it this way, if you are first, you hear people after you come in...if you are last, you hear people leave and return from their breaks...its a lose/lose situation, make the best of it, focus on the exam, wear the noise reduction headset.

At my test center, there were other students taking other tests (I'm assuming LSAT, GRE, etc.), so no matter when I would have started, there would have always been people coming and going.

In fact the guy next to me (I think he was taking the LSAT) actually leaned really far back in his chair and started looking at my screen. I shot him a nasty look and he minded his own business.

I would arrive about 45 minutes early. My test center allowed us to start exactly 30 minutes before the scheduled time, so if you arrive a little before that, you can get checked in and have a moment to relax before you start. Those few extra minutes of deep breathing and meditation may go a really far way in calming you down.

When I arrived at my test centre half an hour earlier than test time, I was the last one to sign on that little attendance sheet, and thus last one to be seated. It kind of sucks, because you will be on different schedule from other test takers in the room, when you are busy typing, they may be getting up and taking their break. This happens to everyone in the room, but if you are unlucky, it can really mess things up.

I signed up for the 13:30 exam at my center and they started the check in at 13:30. Not everyone started the exam at the same time obviously, but we had head phones to blot out any noise. They were really nice and cozy, but I only used them for the biological section. :D

I signed up for the 13:30 exam at my center and they started the check in at 13:30. Not everyone started the exam at the same time obviously, but we had head phones to blot out any noise. They were really nice and cozy, but I only used them for the biological section. :D

i was the third to last to enter the exam and second to last person when the exam concluded though i think the last person was taking the GRE and not the MCAT. the headset were nice, like the kind pilots have, orange and all...i took to risk and used the headset throughout the exam...it was nice because it kept me focused. i remember during my verbal section i began to hear people typing...i bet they didn't like it when i was typing during their biological hehehe

I actually got to the center 5 minutes late (about 1:35 or 1:40). There was no problems at all. No delay whatsoever and I got the only single booth of the whole center. It worked great for me but I would not reccommend it.