Check Out The New Article On The Front Page!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorPardi

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We just published a new article on the front page, I'll provide a quick teaser and this thread will server as a location for discussion! The article in its entirety can be found here: The Pre-Health Curriculum: Beyond Math & Science

The Pre-Health Curriculum: Beyond Math & Science

Posted on September 25, 2007 e
Filed Under Premedical Students

By Sneha Mantri
SDN Staff Writer

For any college student, finding interesting courses to fulfill graduation requirements can be a difficult task. For pre-health students, choices have historically been limited; humanities courses were often perceived as having little in common with the health professions. Recently, however, undergraduate institutions have begun to reflect the general trend toward the integration—not the separation—of health and the humanities.

The AAMC report “Hot Topics in Medical Education” (http://services.aamc.org/currdir/sec…5hottopics.pdf) notes growing humanities instruction in allopathic medical schools. Of the 125 allopathic medical schools in the U.S., 124 require courses in medical ethics, 100 require medical socioeconomics, and 89 teach medical humanities to all students. Similar curriculum changes are taking place in all health professional schools. Additionally, health professional schools usually require a year’s study in English literature or composition before matriculation, and many recommend additional humanities courses.

In response to both these academic/professional trends and student demand, many universities now offer health-related non-science courses for undergraduates. Got questions about your options? This article will answer them.

Hope you guys enjoy, if you have any comments, questions or neat ideas for the front page post them here, or in the Articles Forum.

-Doctor Pardi

Members don't see this ad.

I totally agree, especially with the part about business. I spent my first two years of college as an accounting major and had two accounting jobs. Beyond helping me realize it wasn't the career for me, I think the knowledge I gained in both the classroom and on the job (especially being an auditor for Ernst & Young) will help me tremendously in my future career in medicine.

Personally, I don't think any student should be allowed to graduate college without a course in basic financial accounting, even if just for their own personal life.