Checking for Blind Spots

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrueScotsman

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

In 2007, I graduated with a GPA of 2.6 from a tier 2 university. This was with a degree in music, so I’m missing the pre reqs as well. Although much has changed in the last ten years, these old stats disqualify me as an applicant (and rightly so – I’ve proven nothing in the interim).

After researching the limited options that I have, I've moved to Texas, established residency, and plan to take advantage of the state’s Academic Fresh Start law.

While fresh start programs aren’t uncommon, they’re usually school-specific and have limited utility. Texas is slightly different: an applicant can essentially apply with only grades earned in the last 10 years; the school cannot weigh older grades into the decision to grant or deny admission. This applies to all public institutions, which means private schools would likely ignore an applicant’s request to invoke AFS. Just to be sure, I’ve been in contact with a representative of the Board of Higher Education to make sure that I’m understanding the law correctly (because that would be embarrassing – not understanding the law that led to my moving here).

This means I’ll have to get a second bachelor’s degree, of course. It’ll be a time sink and a frustrating reminder of the sins of my youth, but I can’t see a viable alternative. A 2.6 GPA seems irreparable; 120 credit hours of 4.0 performance would only bring the average up to 3.1. A post-bacc would move that number even less. Earning a second degree with and being able to apply with a clean academic history seems like the only path towards becoming a competitive applicant.

So the plan is this: earn a second bachelor’s degree, gain clinical/shadowing/research experience, lose sleep over the MCAT, then apply using the fresh start provision to med schools in Texas.

Is this misguided and/or am I missing something? I’ve no problem putting the time, effort, and mountainous pile of loan paperwork towards realizing the dream of being a physician, but I’m also aware that I may have some blind spots and would like to get some different perspectives.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not a non-trad and don't have experience with this, so you can take my advice with a grain of salt, but I feel like taking the pre-reqs and applying to a masters program like UNT's which is only one year long might get you there a little quicker IMO

In addition your masters GPA will make up for the undergrad GPA and you'll have to kill it on MCAT for Adcoms to take a look at your app. But that's just my $0.02
Definitely going to be a long rode but props to you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm not a non-trad and don't have experience with this, so you can take my advice with a grain of salt, but I feel like taking the pre-reqs and applying to a masters program like UNT's which is only one year long might get you there a little quicker IMO

In addition your masters GPA will make up for the undergrad GPA and you'll have to kill it on MCAT for Adcoms to take a look at your app. But that's just my $0.02

Master's grades don't remediate a weak undergrad performance at MD schools.
SMP's have variable outcomes that need to be carefully considered and backfire with some regularity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In addition your masters GPA will make up for the undergrad GPA
Unfortunately that isnt true. It wont be included at all in the gpa calculation, so only the prereqs would help your gpa. I'm not saying a masters wont help your application, but since your gpa is so low at baseline I'd say you'll need some repair there before a MS is in the picture.

^ But he's literally saying the 10 year old grades can't be used in the admissions decision- Texas academic laws are a bit weird. In which case I'm saying his plan makes perfect sense. Plenty of people do SMP's or Post Bacc's to off set poor U Grad grades and they make it to med school. The thing is he's bringing up a law that makes it so those U Grad grades can't even be used, so that's especially good.

I would not go with this advice whatsoever. Doing your pre-reqs and going with UNT's SMP will still leave you with a well below 3.0 GPA since you mentioned as of right now, 120 credit hours without AFS would still leave you around a 3.1 . Living in Texas myself, I know UNT's SMP is not the hardest program to get into, but a GPA in the low 2.0s will make it fairly difficult to gain an acceptance. Not only that, but even if you were to be accepted your undergrad would still be horrid for Texas medical schools. Just because we have plenty of them around does not mean a below 3.0 GPA is acceptable to them. Your strategy to use AFS, although lengthy, sounds like a very viable way now that DO grade replacement is out the door.

Assuming you are willing and able to put in the four years of effort that will be needed to earn the new BS, I think your plan seems sensible. You should also begin acquiring health care experience (shadowing, volunteering, paid work, or some combo thereof) from the get go. One advantage of doing the "college redo" you're planning on is that it will allow you to take advantage of resources like premed advising, premed clubs, etc that many nontrads who have to go it alone do not have. TX schools are also well regarded and very affordable.