Checking School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cryingintheclub

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I would like more input on my school list. Since my post-grad travel plans have been cancelled, I've since been living with my parents, and it's probable some interviews will be virtual, I am willing to invest more money into applying to a broad range of schools, with the main exclusion factors being OOS-friendliness and tuition (trying to avoid 400K+ schools lel, but am also willing to bite the bullet). If I can be choosier, I'm also more inclined to living in cities/campuses that are relatively safe (love being a woman) and applying to schools with strong service/public health opportunities and smaller classes. I recently switched from pre-med to pre-dent and have hours on the very low end; I either have met the shadowing requirements or have contacted the schools in my list about their shadowing requirement. Slightly modified my stats for anonymity.

Date of submission: I'm planning on either today (6/29) or tomorrow (6/30). However, my committee letter and official DAT scores will take 2-3 weeks to roll in.
Overall GPA: 3.75
Science GPA:
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
PAT: 23, TS: 30, AA: 28
State of Residence: Florida

Major: Bio
Minor: Not interesting enough to have one
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 35, all with the same general dentist. These past few months, in lieu of the normal shadowing I had planned, I've done around 50 more hours watching procedures on Youtube, completing CE courses, and talking to dentists over the phone. If it matters, I have also arranged shadowing with a local clinic for when the clinic feels it is more safe for me to come in (not counting on it to be soon though... I live in Florida).
Volunteering Experience: 300 hours combined from hospitals and other settings. I am also going to be working full-time in a service position over my gap year, if it matters.
Employment: 80 hours for tutoring; was a residential counselor for a summer program for incoming FGLI college freshman for a month.
Research: 400 hours combined from two clinical research opportunities.
Other Extracurriculars: Held various leadership positions for my sorority, around 500 hours (LOL).
Relevant Honors or Awards: I'm like Warner from Legally Blonde - graduated without honors and without a girlfriend
LOR type and strength: Orgo professor (will be okay, I participated in office hours and that's it lool), musical history professor (will be okay too), Bio professor who was also technically my department advisor (will be okay/good), my PI (will be strong). I will have a committee letter as well.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere:
School list:

An SDNer gave me suggestions for some of these! Thanks again to you if you're reading :)
UF (in-state)
Columbia (breaks my 400+ K rule, but my mom really wants me to apply so okie den)
Pitt
UCSF
Creighton
University of Iowa
University of Kentucky
Touro
Temple
Rutgers (if it matters, I was born and grew up in New Jersey for 10 years; I also have several family members and family friends in NJ)
Case Western

Maybe: Lake Erie (sent email asking how strictly they want to see 100 hrs of shadowing), Marquette (also sent email about how strictly they want to see 100 hrs of shadowing), UNE (don't know if they're actually OOS-friendly or more New England-friendly)

Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

Nice list. It’s a healthy number and with those numbers, you’ll have some options come December probably. Do not apply to the schools that said they’re strict on 100 hours of shadowing, don’t want to get auto-rejected. I suggest using the ADEA guide to dental schools to find out the actual cost of the schools (with cost of attendance included, I thought UNE was expensive?) and to find out which schools are actually out of state friendly to florida residents. The way you do this is look up the number of seats florida residents were offered to the various schools last year in the ADEA guide to dental schools (get an online copy), and ideally compare those numbers to an older edition. You can find the cost of attendance by going to each individual school page in the guide.

Reactions: 1 user
Nice list. It’s a healthy number and with those numbers, you’ll have some options come December probably. Do not apply to the schools that said they’re strict on 100 hours of shadowing, don’t want to get auto-rejected. I suggest using the ADEA guide to dental schools to find out the actual cost of the schools (with cost of attendance included, I thought UNE was expensive?) and to find out which schools are actually out of state friendly to florida residents. The way you do this is look up the number of seats florida residents were offered to the various schools last year in the ADEA guide to dental schools (get an online copy), and ideally compare those numbers to an older edition. You can find the cost of attendance by going to each individual school page in the guide.

Thanks for the advice! I didn't know that the ADEA guide showed how many Florida residents get accepted to certain schools - I'll definitely check it out!