Checklist for Med School Application...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short.. I am 25 years old. Have worked construction on and off since i was 15 in a healthcare setting. Graduated college at 23 with a pretty bad 2.9 overall GPA after attending 2 major universities. First two years i averaged a 2.3. Last 2-3 years I averaged a 3. 7.

Had a pretty rough time in school. Got a DUI that will stay on my record forever. Ashamed beyond words at that and hoping that the committee will not throw my app in the trash upon seeing this.

Had a severe back injury in high school with 2 major surgeries at L4 and L5 (2 herniated discs), months of physical therapy/chiropractor/depression over it. 2nd surgery finally cleared me of my pain but i pulled a muscle and am back in PT again..Have been working construction all over the country (currently in Hawai'i now) without knowing what I really want to do and now I realize that helping people and studying medicine are what I absolutely crave.

So basically:
2.9 overall GPA (3.7 overall from the institution I graduated from)
3.9 on all science prereq's thus far...just have to take organic chem..maybe should take Cal III?
Is shadowing a physician a MUST? Do I need to have a paid medical position to be a more competitive applicant?
What can I do to increase the chances that I will be accepted to make up for my low GPA? I have connections to volunteer at orphanages in Honduras/Guatemala and shadow a world renowned physician in Kenya..maybe this will stand out?
What will I need on the MCAT to have a solid shot?

Anything and everything you guys think could help my chances. I have been through it all..mostly through stupidity on my part and by the kindness of family members and wisdom of faculty have I gotten to where I am today.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

#1 Academics - an upward trend in your GPA with a solid sGPA and a decent MCAT will make your early wobbling less relavent.

#2 DUI - People get in every year with DUIs. Universally, they are people that have no other red flags and generally have something that adcoms are looking for.

#3 Shadowing - Why do you want to be a doctor? "I realize that helping people and studying medicine are what I absolutely crave." I don't believe you, and nobody should. Do you have any idea of what being a physician is like? Do you have any idea what the training will entail, the time, energy and resources you will have to put in? If you don't have clinical experience, nobody can really take you seriously when you say that you want to be a physician. Shadowing is an intrinsic part of this. You do not need a paid medical position for this. If anything they are inferior to shadowing.

#4 Re: low GPA, see #1. By far the most important thing is your MCAT. A strong showing will go a long way to alleviating people's academic concerns.

#5 Volunteering oversees is great. If it is actually a solid experience, not just tourism. That means sustained commitment with or without some sort of productivity associated with it.

#6 Shadowing a "world renowned physician in Kenya" is far less meaningful than shadowing the nearest PCP to you.

#7 There is no magic number on the MCAT that will make everything all better. the ~10% of people with 2.9 GPAs that get into medical school are the ones with solid upward trends and have >30 MCAT scores. Things rise to ~30% if you are 36+ on the MCAT. Given your DUI, lack of substantive ECs to this point, it would take a couple of years and a very strong MCAT score to have a reasonable chance of admission.

Reactions: 1 users
I can agree 110% with what you've said and let me thank you genuinely for your knowledge..I am just excited (and yes, terrified a bit) at the prospect of visiting refugee camps and assisting a surgeon in Africa. Sorry if I came off as haughty, that wasn't my intent. I understand that I don't know what it's like to experience the day to day world of a physician and until I do I won't know if I really want this fully.

Thank you again for your response. This has been extremely helpful...

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree 1000% with my learned colleague. My thoughts:

yes, as per Mimelim.
Is shadowing a physician a MUST?

No. You do need clinical exposure to convince us that you know what you're getting into, and that you really want to be around sick people for the next 30-40 years. Think not just hospitals, but clinics, camps for sick kids, hospice, nursing homes, crisis hotlines or Planned Parenthood.
Do I need to have a paid medical position to be a more competitive applicant?

My colleagues would look upon this as "medical tourism". There are plenty of people less fortunate than yourself who need help right here in the USA. The whole purpose of requiring non-clinical volunteering is so we can see your altruism.

What can I do to increase the chances that I will be accepted to make up for my low GPA? I have connections to volunteer at orphanages in Honduras/Guatemala and shadow a world renowned physician in Kenya..maybe this will stand out?

There are plenty of MD schools that reward reinvention. Based upon SDNers who have successfully done this, I see a need for a score of 515+ (33+ on the old test).

You might need to do a SMP to really convince Adcoms that you can handle med school. the fastest route to being a doctor will be to simply retake all F/D/C science coursework and apply to DO schools using AACOMAS' grade replacement. If you're boning for theat MD degree, you'll need a bit more work.

What will I need on the MCAT to have a solid shot?

Thank you for your guidance Goro

What do you mean, "assisting a surgeon"? As in they'll let you do anything medically related other than observation in the OR?

If so, I wouldn't even mention it. ADCOMs will think it's unethical to bypass all the strict US boundaries and ethics to go to a third world country and get your hands on some real medical work.