Guidance on Strengthening Medical School Application

Started by Alvin Kim
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Alvin Kim

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello. I am seeking guidance on how to best strengthen my medical school application given my academic background. I have earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Biochemistry; however, I received several grades of C in my undergraduate coursework resulting in a low GPA. I am considering retaking these courses to demonstrate improvement. Alternatively, I am also contemplating enrolling in additional science-related courses to further strengthen my academic record. I would greatly appreciate your insight on which approach would be viewed more favorably by admissions committees. Thank you very much for your time.
 
What are your cGPA and sGPA for all undergraduate level courses? Do you have any physician shadowing hours or clinical and non clinical volunteering or employment hours? Have you taken the MCAT?
 
My GPA is 2.5, and I have experience through medical scribing and volunteering at City of Hope, where I have had the opportunity to engage in direct patient interactions. I am also currently preparing for the MCAT. I am aware that my GPA falls far below the threshold typically expected by most medical schools. While I acknowledge that I did not approach my undergraduate studies with the level of commitment necessary for success, I am now fully dedicated to improving my academic standing and pursuing medicine and would be sincerely grateful for any suggestions on how I could strengthen my academic profile and improve my chances of future admission, even in the slightest way.