Chem 2, Bio 1, and Stats in the Summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
T

Tigertiger456789

Hello,

I am currently a junior in hs, but I take about half my classes at the CC. In the fall and current spring semester, I've been fooling around and not taking the premed track classes. Would these three classes and two respective labs be feasible in 8 weeks? I plan to do this to have space for physics 1 and 2, and bio 2 in my senior year of high school at the CC. I've decided I want to do premed now so I want to take the required premed classes to transfer to a 4 year after high school. Also, does anyone have any resources to prepare for chem 2? I took AP chemistry sophomore year but received a 4, giving me Chem 1. However, I don't really feel that sharp in chem right now since I haven't taken it in a while. My ap chem class covered chem 1 and chem 2 but I have forgotten most of the material. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
@gonnif
I plan to transfer to a state university, so my CC credits will transfer. My school makes everyone get an AA so I plan to get the most out of it. Is finishing just chem and bio sequence fine at CC? And i just take the rest at university? All of the med schools in my state take AP.

@gonnif
I plan to transfer to a state university, so my CC credits will transfer. My school makes everyone get an AA so I plan to get the most out of it. Is finishing just chem and bio sequence fine at CC? And i just take the rest at university? All of the med schools in my state take AP.

How do you know?

gonnif gave you good advice and you're not listening.

Members don't see this ad :)
@MyOdyssey The Rice University AP chart.I'm from Florida. I plan to be a science major so I'll do upper level classes. Yeah I'll take some of his advice. I'll just finish chem, bio series , and stats, and the rest of my missing gen eds for my AA. No physics. Maybe finish anatomy and physiology if it fits my schedule. I'll spread the courses out and not take a crazy amount in the summer. The thing was that I'm required to take classes at the CC so just wanted to make the most out of it. I could also sign up to take my full senior year at one of the state universities.

@gonnif Yeah, I'll research out of state schools closer to when I apply. I'm considering doing full time at one of the state universities next year. I'm researching that currently. How does that sound? I would be able to do more science and have more time in my schedule since I wouldn't have to go to high school.

Do not take premed classes at a CC, bad idea. An A in chem 2, bio 1, and stats looks much better at a university than CC. The admissions committee are not dumb and know students can go to a CC and get an easy “A”. Don’t try to rationalize it and say, “but it’s rigorous and competitive at my CC”, which is difficult to justify your claim.

You gotta remember, you’re competing against 10,000 other competitive applicants with 100 seats available for each class and med schools are looking for those who can handle the rigor of their curriculum. Now I’m not saying you can’t get accepted to med school with CC credits, but just know you gotta have something special/unique/career changer to justify taking classes at CC. Your dual enrollment with CC/HS is not special or unique, it’s just a requirement set by your school. Some schools will also ask you what courses you took online/CC/withdrawn/failed courses and you’ll have to explain it. It looks more like you fall into the traditional category for med school applicants based off your post.

But more importantly, if you get your AA, you’ll be way ahead of the game than your other premed classmates. While that may be great, you’ll be stuck with a handful of science courses back to back. So maybe pick up a specialized degree or consider a minor because you don’t want to be in a situation with Anatomy, organic chem, physics, and genetic all in one semester. Not impossible to accomplish here, but don’t forget you need volunteer/shadow/research/leadership experience post-high school. Find study/balance time. Not too much focus on academics and not too much focus on experience, find the happy medium.

Don’t rush and get a crappy application. Or rush and do poorly, then you’ll have to get a masters or do post bacc work. Or worse, you may not be adequately get prepared for the MCAT if you rush.

I know this sounds like harsh advice, but if you follow my advice, you’ll save money, time, and become well balanced in your application. Let me know if you have additional questions. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN