Chem Code?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrB

Family Medicine Resident
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a phlebotomist and I just watched a patient go through a Chem Code? I was wondering what this is? The ER nurse said it was like a partial DNR? It was sad to see the patient die because the life saving drugs could not be pumped through the body.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

DrB said:
I am a phlebotomist and I just watched a patient go through a Chem Code? I was wondering what this is? The ER nurse said it was like a partial DNR? It was sad to see the patient die because the life saving drugs could not be pumped through the body.

Thanks

A chemical code is a partial DNR like the nurse said. The patient can have a DNR where they can 'opt-out' of certain procedures that would otherwise be performed. i.e. chest compressions, intubation, defibrillation, etc. Partial DNR's are not uncommon.

Whats the point of pushing life saving drugs when the heart won't pump them through the body? I can understand not wanting to do compressions... since the nurses tried to give this patient drugs they will be charged for it?