Chem during winter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

shred4life

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone has taken Chem 101 with a lab over winter session? It is a four credit course and I cannot find it offered ANYWHERE during this winter session. I understand that it is rare to find a four credit course with a lab offered over winter session, but I was hoping at least somewhere would offer it. I want to get Chem 1&2 done with so bad by the time I apply to Cornell Agricultural and Life Sciences for undergrad in March, but I just don't see it happening. My plan is to take Chem 1 during Spring and Chem 2 during summer, but I am afraid that they will take one look at my application and see I haven't finished Chem yet and throw it out. Anyone with a similar experience?
 
Idon't think NY residency would help for undergrad since the undergrad school is an independent school that just happens to be located in NY. I can't imagine that they would give preference to residents, though I could be wrong.

Why not contact the school and ask how much they care if you have completed both semesters of Gen Chem? It seems like a straightforward enough question for them to answer.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i think the OP might be stating their residency in case someone in NY has taken chem during the winter and can recommend a course to be taken during that time. idk i could be wrong. 🙂
 
Do you have any background in chemistry? Even if you are able to find a school that offers Chem 1 in the winter, it might be tough to swallow on that kind of pace. Some people find GenChem easy. I personally struggled the whole way through. Orgo however was a piece of cake- comparatively speaking.
 
I have no clue about NY, but I went to maryland and our winter breaks were about 6 weeks long... but they still didnt offer genchem in the winter. I'm not sure why this is because our 2 summer sessions are also 6 weeks long and they had genchem classes.
 
Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone has taken Chem 101 with a lab over winter session? It is a four credit course and I cannot find it offered ANYWHERE during this winter session. I understand that it is rare to find a four credit course with a lab offered over winter session, but I was hoping at least somewhere would offer it. I want to get Chem 1&2 done with so bad by the time I apply to Cornell Agricultural and Life Sciences for undergrad in March, but I just don't see it happening. My plan is to take Chem 1 during Spring and Chem 2 during summer, but I am afraid that they will take one look at my application and see I haven't finished Chem yet and throw it out. Anyone with a similar experience?


Might be a bit of a commute (hehe) but Univ. New Hampshire is offering gen chem 1 over the winterim. Should be listed as Chem 403 on their website. I don't know if they offer the lab, or just the lecture section though.
 
Haha yes I was just providing the state I live in so that any one who might haven taken it in New York would be able to help me out. Thank you all for your suggestions, I hope not being able to complete General Chem by the time I apply will not affect the strength of my application that much, because as of right now I am lost on places that would offer it during winter. I will have completed both Chem 1&2 by the time I transfer (taking it over summer session, hopefully transferring in fall) so I hope that means something to admissions. And yes, I do have a background in chem. I took a Gen Chem course in highschool and did pretty well, some concepts were a breeze but others were really tough. Bio is my real strong suit, but chem has always been a little daunting for me. From what I've heard Orgo is the real nightmare! It's reassuring to hear someone say it was easy for them!

Haha and yes, new hampshire is a bit of a commute (4 hours!!) but I will definitely look into it. Thank you all so much!
 
From what I've heard Orgo is the real nightmare! It's reassuring to hear someone say it was easy for them!
!

i am one of the weirdos who loved organic, so don't let it scare you. some love it, some hate it, some could care less...but you'll make it through it!!
 
i am one of the weirdos who loved organic, so don't let it scare you. some love it, some hate it, some could care less...but you'll make it through it!!

Me too! I love organic chem!! Those stupid rumors made me so afraid but it clicked really fast once I took it. GenchemII on the other hand... yikes, i hate doing molar concentrations and anything related :annoyed:
 
Hey BlacKAT, which professor(s) did you have for orgo? I took Dr. M-S both semesters.

OOoo montague-smith! he's such a nice guy!! I had Dixon for orgo I and Behmler sp?? for orgo II. I did prefer Dixon. I also had Behmler for genchemI my freshman year and she was super nice then, but for orgo my soph year she kinda became a bi*ch.

**thought i should add that i had Boyd for genchemII, AVOID THE BOYD haha yes, i added this in just to say that, makes me laugh every time
 
Last edited:
Yup, Montague-Smith tells the best stories! I'm actually retaking orgo 2 with him right now because I crapped out and got a C the first time.

I got AP credit for chem 1 and had Boyd (during my first semester of college) for chem 2. It was at 8 AM and I used to fall asleep sometimes -- he'd actually stop the lecture and wake me up, in a class with more than 100 students! 😡 <-- This guy looks more embarrassed than the actual embarrassed emoticon.
 
I got AP credit for chem 1 and had Boyd (during my first semester of college) for chem 2. It was at 8 AM and I used to fall asleep sometimes -- he'd actually stop the lecture and wake me up, in a class with more than 100 students! 😡 <-- This guy looks more embarrassed than the actual embarrassed emoticon.

I withdrew from boyd the first time because i was skipping all the lectures and relying on my book to study. Little did I know, it is impossible to pass his course unless you study HIS examples lol. I retook it in the summer (with 40 students and got called on every day!! 🙁 yes very embarrassing ) but i kicked his butt and got an A. I was so proud, i dont know why but it kind of felt like revenge haha
 
Kingsborough Community College (a CUNY school) in Brooklyn offers Gen Chem I during the winter session. Some of the other CUNY schools might offer it in the winter. I've taken a few science classes there and at LaGuardia and they have been very easy and completely doable in a short school session.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just a thought, but I would be really iffy about taking Chem 1 at a school other than where you plan to take chem 2. I think it makes everything in life a whole lot easier and it avoids issues with different curriculum not lining up between different programs. Same with orgo 1 and 2, and physics