Chem Majors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EVN3331

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a Bio Major but finding Chemistry a lot more intresting. Anyways, I am considering changing my major (i'm only a sophmore) so I was wondering if there are any chem majors out there because I have a few questions. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i'm a chem major and it's harder than bio, just tell u that...

Yeah thats what people have told me. But like I said I currently am a sophmore(I started the major late, going to take a class over the summer) and taking Principles of Bio and Chem and probaly will end up with a B in Bio and an A in Chem. But then again those are the Intro Major courses. I talked to a few people and I looked at what Chem Majors have to take, what is Physical Chem like compared to General? And any other insight would greatly be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
PChem is a lot harder than Intro, and a lot harder math...some Cal.

PashaJ is right when it comes to PChem being harder. You're gonna have to do some pretty difficult calculations, maybe some quantum mechanics too. Well, at least where I did my undergrad we were expected to solve wave functions.

BTW I didn't do a chem major, but did a bio one. Just took Physical Chem because I thought it would be interesting. PC didn't end up to be one of my highest marks. Just a thought.

AE

Yeah like I said before everyone I have talked to has told me Chem is hard, but some people have told me they find chem easier than bio. So it depends on the person. Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it greatly.

I was a chemistry major and did not take my first chemistry class until my sophmore year. I did not have any chemistry in high school either. I found chemistry to be easier than biology. I'm a pretty good math student, although you wouldn't know it from my QR score on the DAT. I found that orgo was more interesting and somewhat easier than inorganic. Physical, is just the same stuff in more detail that you have in inorganic with lots of calculations. The most interesting class is analytical chem. which you really develop your lab techniques with lots of unkown samples. This was probably my most useful class. We also had to take adv. inorganic which was cool because we got to make explosives and silly putty. On the whole i like chemistry better because you get to learn the subject with your hands hence my interest in dentistry. I love spending time in the labs. I worked 2 years as a chemist before applying to dental school this year. If you have any other questions let me know.

Pumpkins, that is comforting to know that you also didn't take your first chem course until sophmore year. So which classes did you take each year of college? Also, if I do decide on the Chem Major I probaly will have to take a class over the summer, do you think one would be easier than others to take over the summer?

evn3331,

It's been awhile but i think i can remember for you. I took both inorganic classes with labs my sophmore year. My first semester of junior year i took organic 1 and pchem. My second semester junior year i took organic 2 and the lab. That following summer i took analytical chem. My senior year fall semester was advanced inorganic and final semester was biochem. I also was a teacher's assistant for the inorganics labs during my senior year. I also did a semester of research my senior year. I think thats all the chem classes i have taken. Remember to watch what classes you take with organic because that class will take up quite a bit of time. I also enjoyed the class i took during the summer because we were in the lab from 8-12 so i felt i learned a lot more than just being in there one day a week for a couple of hours.
Hope this helps!

I switched from Bio to Chem my sophmore year. I think there are bio people and there are chem people. Just do whatever you are interested in! BTW I thought O-Chem was harder than P-chem and you will need the Ochem anyway.