Chem requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GiladJaffe

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
UC berkeley only does 3 semesters of chem. They squeez 2 semester of G chem into one and then we do 2 semesters of Ochem. We need 4 for med school. They say biochem covers thar req. Does that req need to be done BEFORE i apply, or can i put that i will be completing it in the next semester?

Members don't see this ad.

deleted.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
No premeds here dont do Chem 1B. We do do 1A, 3A and 3B. And then its reccomended biochem. Im applying in june, but im taking biochem this summer

Bezerkeley... more than one thing wrong with it.

If your premed adviser is vouching for it, then... It did seem that the 2 semester of gen chem with lab was a hard requirement for medical school.

Bezerkeley... more than one thing wrong with it.

If your premed adviser is vouching for it, then... It did seem that the 2 semester of gen chem with lab was a hard requirement for medical school.

So, do i haveto have it done before i apply, or is it ok to do the 4 sem. of chem after applying if you put it on the app

There have been people who place out of Gen Chem due to AP, and still, they are urged to take the higher level physical chemistry courses (w/ labs if possible). Honestly, I don't see how biochem replaces gen chem as a pre-req. As for Chem 1B, it states that it's pre-req is 1A....

I would talk to your premed adviser.

So, do i haveto have it done before i apply, or is it ok to do the 4 sem. of chem after applying if you put it on the ap

I plan to do it before I apply. It'll probably help me with my MCAT prep as well. :)

Last edited:
I did today. Biochem covers it for sure. We do everything chem 1B does in 1A quicker. UC Berk is ******ed. They should have left it as 2 sem. Anyways i know for sure biochem counts. But im done with mcat studying, im takin it in 2 months, just taking pracice exams now. So biochem will not happen before mcats for me. But im trying to figure out if i can tell them im taking it the following sem.