Chem review to prepare for OChem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Annettopher

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am wondering what would be the best way to prepare for OChem this coming Fall semester. It has been 1.5 years since I took Chem I and II and I have forgotten a lot. Any ideas as to the best way to refresh to be up to speed for OChem this Fall?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Annettopher said:
Hello,

I am wondering what would be the best way to prepare for OChem this coming Fall semester. It has been 1.5 years since I took Chem I and II and I have forgotten a lot. Any ideas as to the best way to refresh to be up to speed for OChem this Fall?

Thanks!

I was in your shoes a year ago, I took Chem I & II about 9 years ago. Anyway, Ochem I is almost completely independent of Gen Chem I & II with the exception of the following topics: review electronegativity of elements of the periodic table especially the halogens and the following elements, H, Li, Na, K, Mg, O, N and most importantly, Carbon! Learn everything you can about Carbon, how many bonds it can form and its structure. Know how to draw Lewis Structures and review hybridization. Lastly prepare to memorize bunch of **** about naming organic compounds and recognizing structures but these are what Ochem I is all about, Ochem II is where you'll be overwhelmed with millions of reactions and mechanisms but these are almost independent of Gen Chem, oh and for Ochem II, you'll need to remember stuff about acid/base reactions. Hopefully this helps a bit but I'm pretty sure others will have their 2Cents to add.

festac said:
I was in your shoes a year ago, I took Chem I & II about 9 years ago. Anyway, Ochem I is almost completely independent of Gen Chem I & II with the exception of the following topics: review electronegativity of elements of the periodic table especially the halogens and the following elements, H, Li, Na, K, Mg, O, N and most importantly, Carbon! Learn everything you can about Carbon, how many bonds it can form and its structure. Know how to draw Lewis Structures and review hybridization. Lastly prepare to memorize bunch of **** about naming organic compounds and recognizing structures but these are what Ochem I is all about, Ochem II is where you'll be overwhelmed with millions of reactions and mechanisms but these are almost independent of Gen Chem, oh and for Ochem II, you'll need to remember stuff about acid/base reactions. Hopefully this helps a bit but I'm pretty sure others will have their 2Cents to add.
Just get an ochem book and flip through the first few chapters. get a head-start if you will.

Members don't see this ad :)
check out the book organic chemistry as a second language, by david klein.

you dont need any calculations from gen chem. but feel comfortable with drawing lewis structures, and practice drawing resonance structures so you feel comfortable with electron pushing with arrows. also be able to calculate formal charge, and you are set.

its a challenging class, but do-able. it was a ton easier than gen chem for me.

the ochem on the DAT is way easier than the o chem you had in school, just do the kaplan DAT problems from the book and you will be over prepared, the test likes to ask you about trends with the periodic table, lots of reactions (without the mechanism involved) and they always ask a few electrophilic aromatic sub. problems. i felt like O chem was the easiest of the 3 science sections. GL