Chem. Section on PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geefur16

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've begun to do practice PCAT exams and I always heard the time given for the math section was bad, but what about the chemistry portion? This seems worse! 30seconds/problem? I'm having A LOT of trouble finishing even half of this portion. Any suggestions or anyone else with the same problem? {The fear has begun to settle in!!!}:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, chem and I dont mix. It's been over 6 years since I took chem. I'm using a timer and lots of chem questions at the moment. I got this software which has a timer so that is pushing me on the sections. I almost can get 75% of the problems solved in the allotted 35 minutes.

I think just doing practice exams is the key, and timing yourself.

Pedro

Pedro,

What software program are you using? Sounds pretty helpful. Thanks!

Don't stress TOO much about the chemistry time constraints. Most of the problems aren't time consuming- you either know it or you don't.
The organic chem was prevalent so know your basics! Having 1/2 of one semester of OCHEM should suffice but I found it helpful to look at the intro to organic section in my general chem book for a broad overview.

Members don't see this ad :)
i haven't taken the pcat yet but i'm studying for it also. i've come to find that most of the questions in the chemistry section don't require lots of computation. its general concepts. you don't have to sit and compute every single question for this section. if you do, it will take lots of time away from you. if the question is taking a large portion of your time, then skip it. also, round some of the numbers up or down to get a ballpark answer.

ex. 1.5 moles of HCL in 3.7 L would be 2 moles in 4 L. Answer should be less than 8.

What about knowing the first 20 elements on the periodic table? I have come across a few questions on the Kaplan review questions that require you to memorize the atomic numbers of many of these. Is this really necessary? or is a periodic table given to you at the pcat??

I keep reading on this forum that the Kaplan review goes well above and beyond the scope of the actual PCAT. The chem review does have pretty involved computations and requires the memorization of specific formulas. Should I therefore be stressing out (because I definitely am) if I am doing poorly on the chem section of the practice tests?

I wouldn't worry too much about the Kaplan review tests scores. The problems on the Kaplan review are way more time consuming than on the pcat. You'll still be pressed for time in the chem. section but I found I had a few min. left at the end of the section and most of the people taking the test with me also seemed to finish in time. I just used the Kaplan to help show me what I really needed to study in each area.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Kaplan review tests scores. The problems on the Kaplan review are way more time consuming than on the pcat. You'll still be pressed for time in the chem. section but I found I had a few min. left at the end of the section and most of the people taking the test with me also seemed to finish in time. I just used the Kaplan to help show me what I really needed to study in each area.
Thanks so much for the reply...I feel so much better now! :)