Chemical Engineer seeking Medical School Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChemEMED

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I studied Chemical Engineering at a State School. Graduated with a 3.1 GPA and completed all of my pre-med requirements.

1 Publication in Undergraduate science journal.

I worked for 2 years in the Chemical and Pharmaceutical industries.

My MCAT score is 37.

DO I have a good chance for admissions? Should I apply, I'm still in doubt due to my low GPA in science.

Members don't see this ad.

Dear ChemEMED,

Unfortunately your GPA is not enough for the majority of medical schools but you have some solid extracurricular activities. I would recommend a post baccalaureate program and volunteer or something similar.

Sincerely, Hysek.

Hello all,

I studied Chemical Engineering at a State School. Graduated with a 3.1 GPA and completed all of my pre-med requirements.

1 Publication in Undergraduate science journal.

I worked for 2 years in the Chemical and Pharmaceutical industries.

My MCAT score is 37.

DO I have a good chance for admissions? Should I apply, I'm still in doubt due to my low GPA in science.

Do you have any interest in DO schools?

DO would show you much love with that MCAT.

Edit:

I was answering someone else's question and remembered this in case you decide to take more credits. WM is the new MD school.

• Applicants must have a strong academic record as evidenced by the overall GPA, the GPA in the prerequisite courses, and the GPA in the most recent 60 semester hours. A minimum overall GPA of 3.0 is generally required. We review applications for an upward trend to most recently completed coursework.
  • A minimum MCAT score of 24 is required. Applicants are encouraged to carefully review information on the MCAT website for recommended undergraduate coursework to best prepare for the MCAT examination.

[1] http://med.wmich.edu/education/students/future-students/admission-requirements

Last edited: