Chemical Engineering vs. Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dcsmith1212

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know that similar threads have been posted on this site, but I wanted to post one with my personal background and concerns.
And in advance I'd like to say that I'm obviously not leaving this decision up to strangers on the internet; I'm simply get different opinions and viewpoints on the matter.

So for some background:
I'm a sophomore in highschool, and I have been interested in Chemical Engineering for quite a while now. I am fascinated by why things happen and why the world works like it does. Lately, though, I've found a new fascination with Pharmacy, with drugs and how they work in the body. My favorite subject is Chemistry, and it is to no surprise, seeing as both careers involve it. Specifically, I enjoy organic chemistry (although the only organic I've come into contact with is the nomenclature of hydrocarbons and their functional groups).

My questions and concerns:
The two choices I am stuck between are getting a MS in Chemical Engineering, or getting a BS along with a Pharm.D. Any help on which Bachelor's I should get before Pharmacy school (if I take that path) would be great. Chemical Engineering? Chemistry? Pharmaceutical Sciences? Biochemistry? Would any specific major be any more helpful than others? And if so, in what ways?
And I really just don't know what career I'd enjoy more, nor do I expect you guys to. Money is important, but it isn't the deciding factor. I honestly couldn't tell you which would bring more money after a few years anyways. Both are well paying. And I honestly don't know if I'd rather work with patients or not. To be quite blunt, I don't really know what I'd do if I got my MS in Chemical Engineering. I'm pretty sure I'd want to work at Dow, but I don't know what specifc area I'd specialize in. And if I choose pharmacy, I don't know if I'd work retail or in a hospital. All this being said, I know shadowing a pharmacist would help, but I'm 16 and I don't know that walgreens or Memorial Herman would allow me to do so.
Another concern of mine is that last year in Biology I slacked of a bit, and I'm afraid that none of the information stuck with me. In all honesty, I worked my butt off this year and found an interest in science in general, and I feel like I would enjoy Biology a lot more now. I could take AP Bio my senior year, or just wait until my undergad. How much bio is involved in Pharmacy? I mean, obviously I'll be working with the human body, so there must be some. I just enojy Chemistry more.
The bottom line is that I just don't know which to choose. I have a while to decide, but I would to plan my highschool classes accordingly. Any accounts on the day-to-day lives of both jobs would be GREAT help. And sorry for being so verbose. I just wanted to make sure I gave you guys as much info as possible. Thank you SO MUCH for you input. :)

-dcsmith1212

Members don't see this ad.

Best advice would to pick up a pharmacy tech job at a local store. You will know really quick if retail is for you. Then, try a hospital tech job. You have plenty of time to do both before you need to really think about it. You could even get a BS in chemical engineering before you decide.

My advice is to relax. You have ample time to figure it out.

Good that you're thinking about it, but it really is too early to know. Based on what you said, it sounds like you should get a B.S. in chemical engineering and take the pharmacy prerequisites. During your college years, you could figure out what those professions are like and then decide then on which to pursue, MS or PharmD.

For high school, just worry about getting to and preparing for college. That means getting the study skills and critical thinking abilities through a rigorous courseload. Don't forget about the extracurriculars for character building and general experience. Take all the core science courses for a solid foundation. Frankly, the exact facts and details from biology don't mean anything. What matters is if given the information, can you apply it? If not given, can you find it? If taking another biology or science class in general, do you have the strategy to learn the new material?

A good basic read on what pharmacy is like: http://pharmacy.osu.edu/academics/introduction-to-pharmacy/materials/PfizerPharmacyCareerGuide.pdf

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Well I can give you an account of what chemical engineers have to do at my work. I currently work at Abbott in an innovation group so we come up with new concepts for target markets. Some interesting projects I have been a part of are:

-Worked on a new drug delivery method based on a network of cross-linking gels
-Applied aforementioned concept for sealing surgical wounds
-Developed new co-polymers and blends of materials
-Studied drug release rate of new coating techniques and/or new delivery methods
-Studied in-vitro aging and it's effect on prototype's polymer backbone and mechanical performance

Some day to day/week to week duties are:

-Planning/conducting experiments to evaluate prototypes
-Brainstorming new ideas/designs/concepts for our group's vision
-Traveling to conduct testing, help solve an issue, or provide technical support
-Presenting data at meetings
-Communicating with multiple peers, groups, and vendors
-Attending conferences/conventions to stay updated with current products and scientific advancements

Overall, I feel a chemical engineering degree is a versatile degree that can fit into science, engineering, pharmacy, or medicine if you ever decide to do so.

Last edited:
Well I can give you an account of what chemical engineers have to do at my work. I currently work at Abbott in an innovation group so we come up with new concepts for target markets. Some interesting projects I have been a part of are:

-Worked on a new drug delivery method based on a network of cross-linking gels
-Applied aforementioned concept for sealing surgical wounds
-Developed new co-polymers and blends of materials
-Studied drug release rate of new coating techniques and/or new delivery methods
-Studied in-vitro aging and it's effect on prototype's polymer backbone and mechanical performance

Some day to day/week to week duties are:

-Planning/conducting experiments to evaluate prototypes
-Brainstorming new ideas/designs/concepts for our group's vision
-Traveling to conduct testing, help solve an issue, or provide technical support
-Presenting data at meetings
-Communicating with multiple peers, groups, and vendors
-Attending conferences/conventions to stay updated with current products and scientific advancements

Overall, I feel a chemical engineering degree is a versatile degree that can fit into science, engineering, pharmacy, or medicine if you ever decide to do so.

Why are you switching to Pharmacy? I'm just wondering.

Why are you switching to Pharmacy? I'm just wondering.

No, completely valid question! I went into industry after college because I always wanted to experience the "forefront of technology". After two years, I have come to the conclusion that I want a profession where I am directly connected to those with chronic illnesses, like myself. I have always had a passion for pharmaceuticals (hence why a job at Abbott was appealing) and I desire a graduate degree to further enhance my technical background. After going to pre-pharmacy days at UC Berkeley and UCSF, shadowing pharmacists, and interviewing even more pharmacists - I believe the career is as dynamic as my interests are. An ever-changing field, with constantly new drugs and drug therapies to learn and apply to different patients multiple times a day. It is also versatile in the fact that you can go from a clinical pharmacist, to staff pharmacist, to becoming faculty at a university, or running your own clinic, or even working at Abbott on drug discovery or clinical trials.

Overall, I believe it's a degree that I can utilize and be completely satisfied with.