Medical Chemist wanting to pursue medical school. What should I do for application?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am currently a nontraditional student seeking to go to medical school. I originally graduated 3 years ago with a Bachelor's in Chemistry and then went on to pursue a PhD in the Biochemistry. After the first semester of the PhD program, I decided not to pursue a PhD. Luckily, I found a job working as a technician and received on the job training to perform various Neurodiagnostic examinations on patients in an inpatient and outpatient setting with on call work. I have been working in this job for almost 2 years and I am looking to apply for Medical School this cycle. My cum GPA is a 3.8 and my science GPA is a 3.7 and this does not take into account some of the classes I have taken to get more familiar with biological sciences such as Anatomy and Microbiology. I have very little if any shadowing hours or volunteer work as my job is full time but I am looking into getting some shadowing time in before application. I also have done alot of undergraduate research, but unfortunately the lab that I worked for at the time was new and I did not get any publications in. However, I was able to become the Safety Manager of the lab for my final year of college. I recently have taken the MCAT this past October and only scored a 493 so I am currently in the process of restudying and retaking the MCAT this coming April.

Is my background sufficient(minus the MCAT score) to even get in to Med School?

What gaps should I be filling in on my application?

Thank you
You need the clinical shadowing experience, period. You have to know what you are getting into and talking to people about the daily grind of medicine or health care. Yes you need to really practice for the MCAT and not take the exam so lightly again.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Should I take another year to prepare for applications to brush up my resume? With my current job, I might be unable to reach those milestones. I am also concerned about my classes that I took for undergraduate as it has been almost three years since I have taken my basic science classes.
You may want to consider it. Ask your prehealth advisor and your network connections with other students at medical school.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.