Chemistry or Biology?

Started by Wheat
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Wheat

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm registering for my first year classes on Saturday, and need to know whether or not I should take Biology or Chemistry first semester. Will it make it easier to know one of them going into the other? I know that Chemistry has a lab, as well.
 
I'm registering for my first year classes on Saturday, and need to know whether or not I should take Biology or Chemistry first semester. Will it make it easier to know one of them going into the other? I know that Chemistry has a lab, as well.

Most people do both. If you decide not to, I'd take Chemistry first.
 
Most people do both. If you decide not to, I'd take Chemistry first.
I don't know if they give me that option, but I'll see if they do. Any reason why taking Chemistry first is a good idea? It looks like I'll be about twenty minutes away from you, by the way; I'll be at Eastern.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't know if they give me that option, but I'll see if they do. Any reason why taking Chemistry first is a good idea? It looks like I'll be about twenty minutes away from you, by the way; I'll be at Eastern.

? It's college, you should be able to register for whatever you want. Chemistry first because it is (usually?) a prereq for Orgo, which most people take the beginning of their sophomore year. Cool, I know a few people who went to Eastern.
 
i'm also entering my first year so I'm kinda in the same boat; I agree with trying to take both.. Personally wouldn't know which to pick if I had to choose, but he already went through the process so I'd listen to him if that becomes your situation.
 
i'm also entering my first year so I'm kinda in the same boat; I agree with trying to take both.. Personally wouldn't know which to pick if I had to choose, but he already went through the process so I'd listen to him if that becomes your situation.

I think you guys may have misunderstood me. I can take both the first year, but I can't take both first semester.
 
I'm registering for my first year classes on Saturday, and need to know whether or not I should take Biology or Chemistry first semester. Will it make it easier to know one of them going into the other? I know that Chemistry has a lab, as well.

Take both
 
Hey OP, I graduated from Eastern in 2012 will be entering medical school in the fall (more like next month). The reason you can't take both concurrently is because Eastern is tiny and there are often huge scheduling conflicts. You get excellent advising and one-on-one interaction with the professors and I got some great LORs out of it.

To answer your original question, here is my detailed answer:

If you take Chemistry first: you will be on track to take Ochem sophomore year and then by the time junior year comes around, you won't be worried about taking a heavy load of courses concurrently with MCAT studying.

If you take Biology first: you may have an easier time easing into college, there are way more upper level Bio courses than upper level chem courses that require Bio first, and you will be taking Ochem while studying for the MCAT, but then you won't be needing to study as heavily for Ochem as for the other sections (this is what I did).

I hope this helps and isn't too much information. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions!
 
I'm registering for my first year classes on Saturday, and need to know whether or not I should take Biology or Chemistry first semester. Will it make it easier to know one of them going into the other? I know that Chemistry has a lab, as well.

I just started my post Bach and wish I had taken Intro to Chem first. Bio covers chemistry and to understand a lot of the Biological portion of the class, you need to understand basic chemistry. Even if you took it in High School, I suggest taking it again first. If you feel confident in your Chem proficiency then take Bio otherwise I would take Chem first. Btw Chem is fun once you get the hang of it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad