chemistry portion pcat: periodic table??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jellopie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
During the chemistry portion of the pcat do we get the periodic table? or are we responsible to know all the elements?? ok thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Oh Heavens I hope so!!! Im pretty sure we dont get a clac. Is that correct?

From what I have heard we don't get a calculator. You bring up a good question about the periodic table. Last night when I was studying for the chemistry section of the PCAT there was no periodic table in my study book, which brought that same question to my attention. Please if anyone knows the answer, let us know.

Nope, no calcultors or periodic tables(unless it changed).

They'll let you know in the problems if you need it or not. But you should know the basic ones like O (16), C(12), H(1) and how to add and multiply to find total MW.

I wouldn't worry about have a periodic table too much. The no calculator is worse.

Members don't see this ad :)
They do not give you a periodic table. However, they give you enough information to answer every question. I would not bother learning any details on the periodic table. You could probably bring a calculator but I don't know how long you could use it before they notice and throw you out. Math is fun! Use that noodle of yours. You just need to be fast and comfortable doing the problems. I didn't know anyone that finished the math portion. You just have to do better than everyone else.

did you guys *that took the pcat already* find that the barron's pcat practice book was helpful? or too easy compared to the real test? I tried a couple problems and didn't find them to be too difficult.

when you guys say that they have o-chem problems is that like the reactions or the naming of the compounds??

ok thanks!

If the test wasn't in 2 days, I would have suggested we sticky a PCAT discussion thread to avoid the multiple thread problem. Oh well, perhaps for November.

jemc2000 said:
If the test wasn't in 2 days, I would have suggested we sticky a PCAT discussion thread to avoid the multiple thread problem. Oh well, perhaps for November.

Good Luck on Saturday!

FutureRxGal said:
Well, there is the stickied FAQ, and then there's the search function, but... Well, we try. ;) :laugh:

And you do a great job. I only said that because I know how much multiple threads annoy some people. :)

And thanks for the good luck wishes. I'm terrified. I just told my husband that for the next 45 hours he is a single dad. :)

Talk to you all on Sunday.