Chemistry problem help..

Started by dblock05
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dblock05

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey guys, I don't know if its ok to post a chemistry problem, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to do this problem...figured I'd give it a shot here.

.The activation energy of a certain uncatalyzed reaction is 60 kJ/mol. In the presence of a catalyst, the Ea is 54 kJ/mol. How many times faster is the catalyzed than the uncatalyzed reaction at 25oC? (Assume the frequency factor remains the same.)

The answer to the question is "11 times". I just don't know how to get it. I've attempted multiple tries, but no luck. I do know that the basic equation for this problem is k=Ae^-Ea/RT where K is the constant, A is freq. factor and Ea is the Activation energy in joules/mol.

If anyone of you want to give it a shot, its really appreciated.
.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
it is 11.26 (k2/K1)

just plug everything into equation

thanks! I tried that so many times, but I guess I was doing k1/k2 instead. What a bummer. lol

I have another if you guys want to give it a shot...

.How many grams of nitrous acid, HNO2, ..are required to make 750 mL of an aqueous solution with a pH of 2.35? (..Ka = 4.5 x 10.-.4.. for nitrous acid.)


The answer is 1.7g

.
 
Lol, are you studying PCAT?

anyway, the reaction is: HNO2<=>H+ + NO2-
Ka (4.5x10-4)=[10^(-2.35)x10^(-2.35)]/(X-10^-2.35) {X is initial conc of HNO2}
=> X=0.0485M. then (g of HNO2)/48 g/mol=0.0485 mol/L x0.75 (L) => 1.74g of HNO2
 
Last edited:
No, I am studying for my chem 2 final on Monday morning. Thanks for the help! It is appreciated.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.