Sep 30, 2012
VA
Status
Pre-Medical
How do you determine which molecules have stronger intermolecular forces in comparriosn to each other.

For example:

CO2 or OCS

SeO2 or SO2

An explanation as to why which one would have a stronger intermolecular forces would be much appreciated.

May 29, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
How do you determine which molecules have stronger intermolecular forces in comparriosn to each other.

For example:

CO2 or OCS

SeO2 or SO2

An explanation as to why which one would have a stronger intermolecular forces would be much appreciated.
in the case of SeO2 v SO2 SeO2 is stronger, because the only difference is the central atom Se vs S, and Se is larger, therefore you get more dispersion.

i think in the case of CO2 v OCS, OCS is stronger because it is more polar. but not quite 100 percent on that one.

OP
M
Sep 30, 2012
VA
Status
Pre-Medical
in the case of SeO2 v SO2 SeO2 is stronger, because the only difference is the central atom Se vs S, and Se is larger, therefore you get more dispersion.

i think in the case of CO2 v OCS, OCS is stronger because it is more polar. but not quite 100 percent on that one.
I know youre right about SeO2 v SO2,why does the size of the atom (Se) make a difference in intermolecular forces?

dsoz

Accepted OHSU C/O 2017
5+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2011
Status
Medical Student

CO2 has polar bonds, but a net zero dipole moment because of the vector forces cancel out. Therefore the molecule is non-polar.

OCS is polar because the C=S bond is less polar than the C=O bond, so there is a net polarity to the molecule. This makes it have greater intermolecular forces.

HTH

dsoz

May 12, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
In before lock for SDN is not for homework questions!

Yeah!

sinombre

carboloading
7+ Year Member
May 20, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
In before lock for SDN is not for homework questions!

Yeah!
Given the nature of the vast majority of the threads in this forum, I'm guessing the original inquiry was a metaphor for how to determine prestige amongst schools (so no TOS violation).

MedPR

Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Podiatry

For example:

CO2 or OCS

SeO2 or SO2

You ask your professor or consult your MCAT books.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Life of the Party!
Aug 9, 2012
Inside a black hole

Both questions can be explained similarly. As someone mentioned, SDN isn't for homework help.