Chemistry question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mxt1990

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys !
Ok so this might be a ridiculous question since I am pursuing pharmacy... but how much of chemistry from undergrad is really needed for pharmacy school? Is the information taught in pharmacy school more medicinal chemistry or make like basic SN1/SN2 (revised organic chemistry) stuff. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Not much is needed. It is helpful to have the background. For example, it's easier to understand the difference between a sulfate allergy and a sulfonamide allergy when you actually know the difference. The biochemistry stuff can be relevant especially if you are looking at information on resistance mutations for certain drugs (e.g. BCR-ABL TKIs). You aren't going to be writing chemical equations in class unless your curriculum is really different from my school's curriculum.

Not much is needed. It is helpful to have the background. For example, it's easier to understand the difference between a sulfate allergy and a sulfonamide allergy when you actually know the difference. The biochemistry stuff can be relevant especially if you are looking at information on resistance mutations for certain drugs (e.g. BCR-ABL TKIs). You aren't going to be writing chemical equations in class unless your curriculum is really different from my school's curriculum.
Great! Thank you

Reactions: 1 user