Chemistry Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sfoksn

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it true that ionic compounds do not have intermolecular forces?

For Ozonolysis reactions, how do we know when the condition is oxidizing and reducing? I thought if we had Peroxide in the reaction the condition is oxidizing.. are there any other circumstances?

How do we know when the first substitute is big enough to cause P major product over O major product when doing EAS? When the first substitute is an activating substitute, that is.

How do we know which one ion is more soluble, when given Mg3(PO4)2 vs. (NH4)3PO4? They both seem to be very soluble, but is the latter more soluble because Mg is alkaline earth metal when NH4 is mostly always soluble?

Is there a way to find out if it is a D sugar or L sugar by just looking at the Fischer projection? I can only find that out when I see the circularized structure...

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll try to answer some of these

Is it true that ionic compounds do not have intermolecular forces?
Well, there is a difference between intermolecular and intramolecular forces.
Inter = usually weak interactions between molecules (example would be the H-bonding happening between 2 water molecules)
Intra = usually this refers to ionic compounds or covalent bonds. It is referring to electrons either being transfered (as in NaCl) or just shared (as CH4) gas.

So to answer your question, intermolecular forces (such as H-bonding, dipol-dipol, and other weak interactions) by definition only happen when there is a dipol on the molecule (un-even sharing of electrons). intermolecular forces don't exists for ionic compounds (such as NaCl) cause ionics (like salts) form crystal lattices

How do we know which one ion is more soluble, when given Mg3(PO4)2 vs. (NH4)3PO4? They both seem to be very soluble, but is the latter more soluble because Mg is alkaline earth metal when NH4 is mostly always soluble?
when you talk about which is more soluble, your talking about water. What makes water so special? H-bonding. Now look back to Mg3 and NH4, which one forms H-bonding? NH4 is more soluble

Is there a way to find out if it is a D sugar or L sugar by just looking at the Fischer projection? I can only find that out when I see the circularized structure...
Yes of course, the easiest way to know is to look at the fischer projection. Its all about the last -OH, here is a figure that is worth a 1000 words
1zm2hjr.jpg