Chemistry textbooks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Laughingcow

Reaction score
Although every undergrad uses a different textbook for General Chemistry (and prob every other subject), are all of them essentially identical? Like if I wanted to get a headstart on general chem, can I just use a general chem textbook from any university and reasonably assume that the contents will be identical or at least very similar?

Members don't see this ad.

Although every undergrad uses a different textbook for General Chemistry (and prob every other subject), are all of them essentially identical? Like if I wanted to get a headstart on general chem, can I just use a general chem textbook from any university and reasonably assume that the contents will be identical or at least very similar?
Yes

Essentially, yes.

However, for what it's worth I have found that multisensory platforms like Khan Academy tend to result in better recall for many people. With textbooks, it can be too easy to memorize instead of developing solid, deep understanding you'll need down the road for the MCAT and even for getting A's in challenging classes.

Best of luck to you! :)