Chemotherapy Treatment Assessments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guildsman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interested in how often others in practice see patients on infusion chemotherapy regimens (not oral therapy). Do you see patients before every treatment as an E&M encounter? Do you see every 4 weeks for every 2 week regimens? Interested in others experiences.

Members don't see this ad.

My training institution will often see people every other cycle in the community setting. They are salaried, overworked and a low med-mal environment. I think if we tried to see people every cycle the department would crumble from volume. If someone is on Q6w Keytruda we will see them every cycle.

Depends on the treatment and the patient. But for cytotoxics, or other potentially high risk meds (including some orals), I try to see them every treatment day. If it's something long term, or they're stable and cruising, I will go every other treatment, but only for weekly, or Q2w treatments, and even then it can be sphincter tightening.

That said, this is mostly what I use mid-levels for and I alternate visits with them unless the cycles are Q4w or longer.

Reactions: 1 users