Chest wall pain/injury from SBRT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mandelin Rain

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Have a lady I treated 2 years ago for a large-ish NSCLC that involved the chestwall to 60 Gy in 8 fx (7.5Gy per) who has had terrible chestwall pain and 3 broken ribs since. About a year after treatment it looked like she had coagulative necrosis on an MRI. It has since improved on imaging and there is no concern for tumor progression. Pain remains awful though. Wrapping around her ribs.

What do you do? I've tried the Vit E/Trental. Typical narcs. Sent her to pain for nerve blocks. She doesn't live close so not sure about HBO.
 
Have a lady I treated 2 years ago for a large-ish NSCLC that involved the chestwall to 60 Gy in 8 fx (7.5Gy per) who has had terrible chestwall pain and 3 broken ribs since. About a year after treatment it looked like she had coagulative necrosis on an MRI. It has since improved on imaging and there is no concern for tumor progression. Pain remains awful though. Wrapping around her ribs.

What do you do? I've tried the Vit E/Trental. Typical narcs. Sent her to pain for nerve blocks. She doesn't live close so not sure about HBO.
high dose neurontin/lyrica, intermittent steroids and nerve block . never tried HBO. vit e and trental cant hurt
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Palliative resection, chest wall reconstruction? I saw a similar case presentation by Timmerman 10 years ago.
 
If you already sent her for nerve blocks I'd get her set-up with pain management for pain control. They know more about neurontin/lyrica and the neuropathic aspect of pain than we do. Can sprinkle some Vit E/trental but it's probably homeopathic.

Just for curiosity can you provide some Dmax, V15-60 (in increments of 5Gy as cc of chest wall) data points for her dosimetry? I don't mean to call you out in anyway, but we truly have no good idea of constraints for 60/8 and it'd be nice to hear anecdotally what at least CAN cause this level of chest wall toxicity.
 
That is unfortunate. If it was directly invasive into chest wall at presentation, that's likely what set her up for this. I would think HBO would be my next step since she is refractory to everything else.

FWIW, I have been using 60/15 for these types of large, non-SBRT type peripheral tumors, particularly in elderly patients, and so far so good.
 
My partner had a similar case and the patient seemed to improve with hyperbaric. However it seems the process has stabilized in your case and that pain is the main problem here. Hyperbaric may still be worth a shot but aggressive nerve blocking seems to make the most sense to me and it sounds like you have already referred her in that direction.