Cheyenne Wyoming

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Its Z

Retired
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone live there or been there? What's it like?

Members don't see this ad.

Been there twice. Cheyenne is your "normal" city of 50,000 or so. It's not too bad, it is about 2 hrs from Denver.

Both times I've been through there I've had car trouble (which ironically have been the ONLY two times I've ever had car trouble.) Nothing is open on Sundays there except for the Walmart and some other big chain stores. They also have a decent sized Sam's Club there.

It's pretty flat there as I remember. It was 100+ when I was there in August 2008 and was about 45 when I was there May 15th of this year (they had a big snowstorm just 5 days prior.) The interstate is closed a lot during the winter, is what I am told...we also have a classmate from Cheyenne. Oh, it is REALLY WINDY there. Once you get a little ways west of Cheyenne it starts to get hilly, and both times I've been through there, my truck has been pushed around a bit by the wind. For reference, the curb weight of my truck is around 4500 lbs. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh man...sounds like an awesome place to live...

Why? Expanding your business into coal mining?

It's a trap. The supervolcano at Yellowstone is getting ready to blow up again and the further you are from that, the better your chance at survival.

Isn't Yellowstone completely on the other side of the state though?

OMFG

mount-st-h-natgeo-1980-may-18.jpg

20050519031802VOLCANO_FLR.jpg

If this ever does occur Sparda, you can leave your stagnant pharmacy job and play the role of TLJ while helping to save lives. However, do to your overall lack of reasoning and moderate levels of psychological immaturity you'll probably end up bypassing Wyoming altogether to spend a weekend in Vegas, all the while costing the lives of thousands as the general populace becomes prey to the "Post-Apocalyptic Wyoming Zombies (PAWZ)"

large_zombies.jpg

Mild summers and cold winters. It does get windy. And yeah, there is lots of snow in the winter. The city itself isnt bad though.

I hear there are no mosquitoes. Is that true? That alone would be worth the move.

I hear there are no mosquitoes. Is that true? That alone would be worth the move.

high wind tends to immobilize mosquitoes. I think wind above 5mph. Also, if the area is so arid and no standing water, it'd be difficult for mosquitoes to survive.

I visited your state before...it's gotta be a mosquito haven.

Then again, I grew up in Louisiana where the state bird is a giant mosquito.

Technically, the whole world will be screwed if the Yellowstone Caldera blows up. The ashcloud will reach 20 miles up, blackening the skies, and sending us into another volcanic winter.

Pretty much the whole Western half of the US will be under 20 feet of ash.

Members don't see this ad :)
Technically, the whole world will be screwed if the Yellowstone Caldera blows up. The ashcloud will reach 20 miles up, blackening the skies, and sending us into another volcanic winter.

Pretty much the whole Western half of the US will be under 20 feet of ash.

and if a large comet hits the earth...
and if sun explodes..
and if CA falls off...
and if Kim Jong Il shoots a nuke..
and if Jesus comes back...

Cheyenne is a pretty nice city. State capital, so all that goes with that. Has a VA hospital with an attached nursing home (or at least it did) and Warren Air Force base. Needless to say, pretty stable with all the public sector jobs. Lots of outdoor recreation in the area, but culturally pretty lacking. However, Denver is only a few hours away. Weather wise, its Wyoming so it could be anything at anytime! Laramie (home of UW pharmacy school) is about 45 minutes away, over the summit. Yes it's windy, but it has beautiful mountains in the area to make up for it. Oh,yea, no state income tax.

and if a large comet hits the earth...
and if sun explodes..
and if CA falls off...
and if Kim Jong Il shoots a nuke..
and if Jesus comes back...

and then....

In the days of the computer game "Oregon Trail", all my wagon found in Wyoming was bad water and rattlesnakes.

Or losing 1/4th of the party to dysentery