Chicago Area PM&R Residency Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbest

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has any feedback regarding any of the Chicago area PM&R residency programs. Obviously, RIC is one of the best PM&R programs in the country, but how do the other Chicago programs stack up? Strengths? Weaknesses? As always, thanks very much for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at Loyola. Though not spectacular in any way, it seemed like a very relaxed PM&R program. I wasn't crazy about the location though. It was in an extremely gritty part of suburban Chicago, with a lengthy (and stressful commute according to the residents) if you chose to live in the city.

Where to live in Chicago is a dilemma. With RIC, you can live close, and pay more in rent than you earn on a resident's salary, or you can do the long commute. Loyalo is in a bad neighborhood, so commuting is the only viable option. I think the only one around C-town without that problem is Marionjoy - Wheaton and surrounding areas are good places to live. The area around Rush isn't too bad.

Marionjoy has a very good reputation as a rehab center. I did a rotation there as an M-4 (back in the stone age) and it is a good, large facility. I'm too far removed to know how the residency is now. Back then, it was mostly Loyala and Rush residents there. Most of the attendings I knew then are still there, I found them to be good teachers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Loyalo is in a bad neighborhood, so commuting is the only viable option.

You can live in Oak Park, which is <10 min commute to LUMC. Or you can live in any of the western suburbs between I-294 and I-355. Even some of the suburbs east of I-294 are decent, depending where you live (i.e. Brookfield, LaGrange, Western Springs). Depending where you live, you can easily find a nice place 15 min away, so not that bad of a commute by any means. Probably would spend that amount at just about any of the programs in Chicago; whether it be walking/public transportation to RIC or living close to Marionjoy.

Any input on the Schwab program?

Chicago's not like New York.

Residents can usually find decent places to live in the city and still drive to work each day without too much difficulty.

First off, thanks to all for the information so far. While I do appreciate the comments on the different commutes and living arrangements, it would be great to hear about the training that the respective programs offer.

As always, your input is greatly appreciated!

just do a quick search and you will find out about most of the Chicago PM&R programs. I believe there were good descriptions of most of the Chicago programs the past 1-2 years on this board.