Chicago Housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silverandblack

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I dunno if anyone has posted about this already, but I was wondering if anyone can offer some advice regarding off campus housing in Chicago (like which areas to look at, which to avoid, etc)............................ any help would be appreciated!

thanx

silverandblack

Members don't see this ad.

If you call ICO student affairs, they can mail you an off campus housing guide. It has all the areas around ICO listed with rent, travel time, contact info.

Alot of us rent from Steve McKenzie, his number is 1-312-617-8371. He own over about 40 properties. All of them are kept up really well and the rent is relativly cheap. I'm paying less for a two bedroom apartment than some I know are paying for one bedroom apartments, and my place is nicer and sometimes closer.

I would really advise against looking for places outside the city. I have some freinds who live out there and it takes them over an hour to get to school. It takes me 10-15 minutes.

Good Luck!

Guess what rpames??!!

I got a single at the RC!!!! SO much for being 24th on the waiting list.

I also lived in Bridgeport this year in one of Steve's apartments. 1 bedroom, $625, electricity included. Gorgeous apartment. Hardwood floors, marble veneer countertops, own laundry machines (a rarity in Chicago) and central air. I loved the architecture. Mine is one of the older houses. I don't really like the neighborhood but I have previously been a small town girl. I do tend to be a crime magnet (just ask rpames) for some reason though. Travel time is pretty decent (I live across the street from rpames) although don't try to take the Dan Ryan expressway from my house at 7:30 am (like me today...nine months living here and I still don't know any better).

Good luck in your search and pm me if you want to come see my place, silver and black. I am moving out at the end of May.

Eyegirl. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, thanks a lot for the info guys, I really appreciate it....

Eyegirl2k7, why is it that you're moving to the RC after being off campus for a year (if you don't mind me asking). Do you feel that this will enhance your experience at ICO (or in Chicago in general)??

I am considering the RC as an option, however, at this point I am leaning towards the idea of living on my own or with other friends who may be coming to ICO in August as well. Any feedback on what may be a better option for a Chicago-virgin?

I'll PM you for sure if I'm gonna be in the area before you move out (which is quite possible); your place sounds great, and I'd love to see it if I get a chance.

One more quick question: what's the deal with Hyde Park (sp??)? Somebody who knows a little bit about Chicago suggested it as an option for me, and started laughing................ :oops: ............ i don't get it! :confused: :confused:

silverandblack

Hi silver and black,

To be honest, moving to the RC doesn't have anything to do with enhancing my experience at ICO. I'm getting divorced and it's just a better place for me to be around friends. I'm trying to simplify my life and get grounded again.

I would say that both places have their advantages. THe big downside of the RC is living with a roomate (which you WILL, as a first year). I know personally that there aren't any singles open for first years. I was 24th on the waiting list for 2nd years and was so happy to get one! It's a high stress environment and during 3 quiz weeks some people's emotions tend to run high so the double rooms can be a little bit of a soap opera. The upside is it's convenient and safe and all your friends will be around. Plus there's always a ton of people to study with.

THe apartment is nice because of the privacy and the amenities but I always thought it was too lonely.

So I hope this helps. PM me, come visit. I'll be in the midst of moving probably but you're welcome. ICO people stick together
:D
Eyegirl