Chicago Neuro Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spnj889

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know about the differences between the Chicago programs (Rush, Northwestern, Univ of Chicago, Univ of Illinois) in terms of strength of programs, enthusiastic faculty, location, overall program personality, etc? I'm afraid I don't know much about them aside from their websites. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think Rush used to be the leader, but has taken some major hits recelty. Their stroke team (in its entirely, more or less) moved over to UIC. From what I know now, Northwestern is the best overall program in the city. UChicago is good, esp in Neurocritical care. It's hard to say which is better overall between Chicago and Rush, but those are the top three. UIC is solid, esp now that they have the stroke team from Rush. Loyola is solid, but has a rep for being malignant. They're typically considered the least desirable of the Chicago programs (and are not in Chi proper to begin with).

Loyola is NOT malignant in any way. Smaller prpgram, very solid. MOre clinically oriented. Worth looking at if you want to be in Chicago. Loyola is closer to Oak Park. Essentially still Chicago. Rather live there than round U of C!...

PS i dont attend any chicago programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fair enough. Thanks! Does anyone know anything more about Northwestern / Rush / Univ of Chicago / Univ of Illinois / Loyola?

Programs keep changing all the time. A few years ago, the Northwestern program was placed on probation and residents left for positions elsewhere as PGY 3-4s. Rush used to be the better one with U of Chicago following. Loyola was fairly malignant.

I have learned that most programs change from decade to decade. Past reputations no longer apply for the most part because of faculty and chair changes. Make sure you get up to date info, which you will only learn if you go and check for yourself.

I'm a senior resident at UIC. If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to help. Since you asked about the location and program strengths, what I can tell you is that we are located in the near west side of the city, the Illinois Medical District, just down the street from Rush, the West Side VA, and Cook County Hospital. We are a few blocks south of the United Center if that helps, and just west of the undergrad campus. The location is quite urban with the Loop being about 10 minutes away and some of the trendier neighborhoods like Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park, and Bucktown a short El ride or drive away.

As far as our strengths go, if I had to narrow it down I'd say stroke, neurocritical care, and neuromuscular are the section strengths. We have strong faculty in particular in these areas and I think we get especially good training in this regard. Another strength of the program is the diversity of patients we see as the downtown state university hospital. We rotate at three hospitals-the University, the VA (within walking distance), and Christ which is a large 700+ bed level I trauma center on the south side. This provides for a good exposure to several different settings and patient populations. Finally, I think most people would find the faculty to be pretty chill overall, certainly not a malignant environment with pretty reasonable duty hours. Any further questions let me know.