Chicago Path programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

star23

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi
I will be applying next year and I was wondering about the Path programs in Chicago. In your opinion, the good the bad and the ugly are...

Members don't see this ad.

mmm...beer...Andy likes beer.
mmm...steak...Andy likes steak.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for linking to that Andy, I wasn't in the mood to write that all again this morning!

Yeah, to be sure NW is in a great location. And U Chi is most definitely NOT, although I must say it wasn't as bad as the rumors had led me to believe. And inside the hospital, U Chi's surg path facilities are unsurpassed.

yaah said:
Thank you for linking to that Andy, I wasn't in the mood to write that all again this morning!

Yeah, to be sure NW is in a great location. And U Chi is most definitely NOT, although I must say it wasn't as bad as the rumors had led me to believe. And inside the hospital, U Chi's surg path facilities are unsurpassed.

You're very welcome. I heard the same thing about Chicago from a PA: crappy external environment; ridiculously awesome facilities. I get to check them out first hand in early December (unfortunately, the day right after my Step CS :mad: ).

anyone know anything about loyola?

NW vs UofC...hmmmm
Who is that a battle of?
on UofC:Demay, Kumar, Vardiman, Miller
vs
NW:who???
seriously, UofC has a complete lock on Chicago in terms of big dog names.

ddx said:
anyone know anything about loyola?

Loyola is a good program, the only thing I know about it is that their chairman, Dr McClatchey, recently passed away. So I am not sure where the program is right now. A lot of people will tell you that a program changing chairmen is to be avoided, but I think that's a bit oversimplifying. If it is a big program with a lot of established names and history, it won't matter a ton. We are getting a new chair here and no one is worried.

governaitor said:
True, but Kumar is the chair, so how many weeks are you going to spend signing out with him if ever over the 5 years? And isn't Miller a CP guy? Who cares who teaches you chemistry? Don't you just read that stuff in a book anyway?

I think NW's surgical program might be a little better, but certainly no worse than U of C, and ultimately that is where how you learn. You learn from seeing a wide variety of specimens. So I'd say they are equivalent.

Sure, compare two guys, one from UofC, one from NW go for a job:
Guy 1 says 'yes, I trained with DeMay in cyto and Vardiman in Hemepath."
Guy 2 says 'Umm, I trained with pathologist_004 youve never heard of in cyto and had a bunch of junior attendings run me through heme."
Who are they gonna hire? :laugh:

I don't think Kumar signs out anything - he's a researcher primarily. Miller is a coagulation expert. U of Chi has Dr Krausz as head of AP and he is one of the top 5 surgical pathologists in the world (if you believe in rankings).

As for who gets hired, well, I don't think it's that simple. Training with good people doesn't necessarily make one a good pathologist.

LADoc00 said:
Sure, compare two guys, one from UofC, one from NW go for a job:
Guy 1 says 'yes, I trained with DeMay in cyto and Vardiman in Hemepath."
Guy 2 says 'Umm, I trained with pathologist_004 youve never heard of in cyto and had a bunch of junior attendings run me through heme."
Who are they gonna hire? :laugh:

You forgot Guy 3 who says, "I am Robbins reborn." and gets the job leaving Guy 1 and Guy 2 wondering WTF happened.

governaitor said:
I bet NW grads have no problem getting jobs. In fact two that I knew who graduated this past July both got their top choice jobs with lucrative north shore practices.

Moreover, you know as well as I do, that no one coming out of residency is going to be any kind of heme path master whether Vardiman showed them a couple extra rare cases or not...

Go to NW, it is in downtown Chicago, probably the best downtown in the country if you can take 4 months of arctic like weather

You bet NW grads have no problems getting jobs?? Nice talking out of your a$$, bet again. FFS there was pleading with pathologists at the LA path society meeting last night to hire UCLA grads because they couldnt find jobs.(And as sad as Im to say this, I laughed along with all the old farts, even though I was crying on the inside :(

No one but the top 1% of trainees is having "no problem." Everyone else is having a very big problem, but if you want to bull**** yourself go for it. ;)

By the way, do you have any idea what the hell a "lucrative pathology practice" even is? Im guessing you dont.

yaah said:
U of Chi has Dr Krausz as head of AP and he is one of the top 5 surgical pathologists in the world (if y ou believe in rankings).

Yaah -- What rankings are you refering to????

PathProspect said:
yaah said:
U of Chi has Dr Krausz as head of AP and he is one of the top 5 surgical pathologists in the world (if y ou believe in rankings).

Yaah -- What rankings are you refering to????

Clearly there are no official rankings on the subject, it's rather a silly prospect to try and rate people like this, because how on earth would you quantify it? I have just heard the exact phrase "he is one of the top 5 surgical pathologists in the world" from many different observers. I actually hate rankings and wish people would not try to rank people or institutions according to arbitrary and subjective guidelines.

That all being said, he is one heck of a smart man (and a nice one).