Chicago PGY-1 swap

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Car-e-monda

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently at a an academic medical center in the Chicago area (PGY-1). To make a long story short, I have had a pretty tough start to residency. Although I genuinely think that my anesthesia program is incredibly supportive I unfortunately have had a really tough time adjusting to the fast pace of an academic center. I would love to get a fresh start at a slower paced/lower volume institution (Maybe a community hospital). I would prefer chicago or florida but willing to consider anything for a swap. Anyone out there looking to move from a community hospital residency to an academic center? Please private message me.

thanks !

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I am currently at a an academic medical center in the Chicago area (PGY-1). To make a long story short, I have had a pretty tough start to residency. Although I genuinely think that my anesthesia program is incredibly supportive I unfortunately have had a really tough time adjusting to the fast pace of an academic center. I would love to get a fresh start at a slower paced/lower volume institution (Maybe a community hospital). I would prefer chicago or florida but willing to consider anything for a swap. Anyone out there looking to move from a community hospital residency to an academic center? Please private message me.

thanks !

You are making an incorrect assumption if you think community programs will have a slower pace than an academic institution. Generally academic places move the slowest with the slowest surgeons and the slowest turnovers. There is a lot more production pressure in community hospitals with little tolerance for dicking around. You're only a couple months in. Internship can be overwhelming. You may just be experiencing the normal adjustment difficulties. Talk to your program director and give it more time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users