Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Chicago Post Bacc Programs

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by meliora27, Mar 9, 2007.

1. meliora27

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    What are the various thoughts and reputations of the numerous options in Chicago? I am very new to the forum but have read a litte on Northwestern, Loyola, and UIC.

2. HippocratesX

HippocratesX Member
    7+ Year Member

All of those schools have good reputations. In terms of postbacc, as long as you take the majority of your classes at a 4 year university, you'll be fine. Some medical schools might not look favorably if you took them all at a community college, making it difficult for them to gauge your performance. Your MCAT will tell them how well you learned your basic science pre-reqs though. So, as far as Loyola, UIC, or Northwestern....you'll just have to pick and choose what you like/dislike about each based on finances/location/profs/etc...but in the eyes of admissions offices (for med school), your grades and MCATS will say all they want to hear.

3. liv2givnbnmd

liv2givnbnmd post b/pre med

Pre-Medical
    If you have the financial means, I would suggest attending Loyola or Northwestern. They both have a structured p-bac program, pre-med advisory committees and class schedules that accommodate a 40 hour work week (sorry, I am making the assumption that you work full time).

I went to UIC for my p-bac work and would never recommend that route to anyone. I've even had faculty (from UIC and other institutions) warn me about certain departments. UIC also does not offer any science classes at night. I will admit that I've found a few great professors, though.

If you're interested, you can also search AAMC and med school web sites, which show schools represented by matriculated students.........it might help you with your decision. Loyola and Northwestern can also tell you the acceptance rate of students who have gone through their p-bac programs.

Best of Luck!

4. OP
    OP
    meliora27

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Liv2giv, are you now in medical school? What have you heard about Loyola's program?