Chicago Programs questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cartercarve

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't want to create a whole new thread, but I had some questions. I'm not originally from Chicago but will be ranking it highly 2/2 wife's family and job.

I liked Rush, and I understand the previous issues have largely been resolved. That being said, I'm having trouble comparing it to other Chicago programs, like UIC and Loyola. I asked some questions during interview day but as always, it's AFTER the interview that I have time to step back and look at things.

Should a program not having any trauma experience factor into my ranking decision when compared to these other programs? I'm kind of tired of everybody saying they do livers, because from what I've seen and heard from attendings/residents, trauma is more than simply transfusions, and I think there is something to be said. Rush comes to mind.

Can anybody speak to Rush's cardiac experience? Overall resident happiness?

Can anybody comment on Loyola? I've heard a lot of hubub about drama going on there, too.

All of these programs are similar to me for location, and general feel of the program was actually difficult to tell during interview day for each.

Thanks, all!

Members don't see this ad.

Rush is the best. I can say that because I went there and I am the greatest anesthesiologist ever. No one is better than me.....no one!

Reactions: 1 user
Rush recent grad. Program has definitely improved from 5 years ago. cardiac experience is now improved with them running 3 rooms for cardiac now .
In regard to trauma, u can consider U of C, Cook and Loyola if that’s your interest but rush anesthesia program is well respected in Midwest but the skill set you acquire at rush outside of liver txp will allow you to manage a trauma.

Rush is a workhorse program and you need to be an independent learner. Sink or swim but once you finish it, you will be well trained

most of the grads go to fellowship but it’s not due to deficiencies but preference and current state of the field.

Reactions: 1 user