Chicago programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

jackflash

I interviewed at a bunch of the Chicago programs... and my best impression was with U of Chicago and U of Illinois. However, I am concerned about U of Chicago's academic reputation and also their relative lack of trauma and private patients. On the other hand, the chairman at U of Illinois did not even meet with us which gives me a bad taste for the program... plus their facilities are not as nice as U of Chicago's. Both programs seem to have relative low surgical volumes, in contrast to say Loyola.

Any comments?

Members don't see this ad.

Did you interview at Northwestern? If so, what was your impression? I have to choose between there and Boston University.

Boston University has great volumes (like 200 phacos), great patient diversity, and in general is a very solid clinical program. They are expanding and when the new building goes up the practice area will double. Residents rotate through the VA in town with MEEI, and through Boston Childrens also with MEEI. Northwestern just lost its VA affiliation. If it were up to me, I would go to BU.

thanks for the info- i switched things around so that i'm going to both Boston U. and Northwestern (i just love Chicago), and i'm going to cancel Virginia Commonwealth. i actually don't know much about this program, so i hope i'm not making a mistake. speaking of Va., does anyone know anything about the Virginia programs??