Chicago State C/O 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Legaldruggiver

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't see any love for CSU so far so just wanting to get some conversations going. I'm deciding between CSU or Midwestern.

CSU: semesters, 90+ students, about $27k per year, easier class schedule/slower pace since semesters, everyone seems laid back and nice. Only BAD part is the location and I guess the reputation because the UNDERGRAD CSU has a bad reputation so by default people associate that with the relatively new pharmacy program(8yrs old)....doesn't bother me since I can see past that....just not sure how future employers will look at CSU.

Midwestern: quarters, 200+ students, about $41k per year, harder schedule and much faster pace-more "stuff" since quarters, gated community location surrounded by multi-million dollar homes, maybe better faculty since private and three times as old, large focus on professionalism/stricter school. Their reputation, mostly bc of name and location is bigger.

Both have good and bad or easy and hard stuff.
Don't bash either school.....Go!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I don't see any love for CSU so far so just wanting to get some conversations going. I'm deciding between CSU or Midwestern.

CSU: semesters, 90+ students, about $27k per year, easier class schedule/slower pace since semesters, everyone seems laid back and nice. Only BAD part is the location and I guess the reputation because the UNDERGRAD CSU has a bad reputation so by default people associate that with the relatively new pharmacy program(8yrs old)....doesn't bother me since I can see past that....just not sure how future employers will look at CSU.

Midwestern: quarters, 200+ students, about $41k per year, harder schedule and much faster pace-more "stuff" since quarters, gated community location surrounded by multi-million dollar homes, maybe better faculty since private and three times as old, large focus on professionalism/stricter school. Their reputation, mostly bc of name and location is bigger.

Both have good and bad or easy and hard stuff.
Don't bash either school.....Go!
Great post! Did you interview in both locations already?

I have an interview coming up around the end of February for CSU-COP. Anyone no any tips for it? Took about a week for them to review my entire application once the supplemental application was recieved.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my acceptance email yesterday! The faculty makes you feel comfortable, so don't stress out too much. I'm just look forwarding to finishing my last pre-req and finally attend school in the fall. The overall interview day went by fast. It's closed file, so just be yourself and you'll be fine. Best of luck!

Do u no how long it took for the acceptance letter to be emailed to u after the interview? Also do u no how many ppl were with u at that time and if u did remember any of the interview questions that they told u?
Thank you!!!

PharmD1010 they send you an email about the acceptance and give you about two weeks to accept it. I just recently got accepted into the program and cannot wait to start the program already.

I read that CSU was getting closed down due to budget issues, is this true? If so, how would currents students finish their schooling?

That's what I'm wondering, if people are getting accepted for fall 2016 then how are they closing the school?

I find this ironic but someone from the school just called me and I asked about the situation and she kindly explained that although we have been hearing this stuff around, the school of pharmacy however, is not affected by it!

This school thought the college of pharmacy would save them. It is very poorly run. Don't think that the closing of the school will not affect you in the college of pharmacy. Less people to keep the buildings up and running, less faculty from other departments. This school is in serious trouble. I would consider a different university.

This was in the Chicago Tribune:
http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-85997619/

Reactions: 1 user
Had my interview today at CSU-COP! They made it so that you were family to them and that it is such a diverse place to be in. They also personally said that their SCHOOL IS NOT CLOSING!!! and that they will be open for the many years to come. The interview flew by so fast and they just make you so comfortable to be in that you won't get nervous for your interview. It was about 20 minutes with behavioral type questions with 2 or 3 people interviewing you. The overall process they had established was amazing and I hope that I do get accepted into this school of pharmacy. :)

Thanks for your concern but that article also stated that not all of Chicago state would close which they most likely were referring to was the school of pharmacy in CSU. I've also been wondering why no one has been commenting on anything on this thread. Maybe because they read the news and were scared of going there but better chances for the rest of us.

Thanks for your concern but that article also stated that not all of Chicago state would close which they most likely were referring to was the school of pharmacy in CSU. I've also been wondering why no one has been commenting on anything on this thread. Maybe because they read the news and were scared of going there but better chances for the rest of us.

Even if the college of pharmacy does not close, it will affect you as a student. Every single faculty/staff member (including those in the college of pharmacy) got a lay off notice. They will be cutting back on people who take care of the buildings, student services, campus security (CSU is in one of the roughest areas of Chicago), etc. I have plenty of friends who are faculty members here and are very worried about their future. Most have been looking for other jobs. I don't know if you are from Illinois, but this college is always in the news with some sort of crisis.

If you get in somewhere else, go there. I know you want to be optomistic about this school. I personally wouldn't want to gamble with my future with all the time and money that goes into pharmacy school. What happens if they close a year from now? You are screwed.

Reactions: 1 users
Anybody know if there is already a facebook group for the class of 2020?

Wow, that does not sound good. I had a family member that went there and now they have a nice job after graduating. I wonder if the school was nicer before and just recently started going downhill or if it's always been like this?

Last edited:
I'm interested in applying to CSU PHARM school. Can you guys please tell me about ur stats including overall GPA, science & math GPA, and PCAT score. Thank you