Chicago State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FlippinChink

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the definite time (i.e. Fall 2007 or Fall 2008) of when Chicago State's Pharmacy school opens?

Members don't see this ad.

According to what I once heard, the original planned opening would be Fall 2007, but I don't think that is going to happen because there is nothing on their website about it at all. They do not even have prereqs and a separate page for the proposed college. I remember the prereqs for SIUE were up 1-2 years before they opened.
I do know that UIC is planning on opening a satellite campus at Rockford in hopefully fall 2009. I don't know if that has impacted or not impacted the proposed CSU college.

its fall '08. they had my hopes up for '07, then i heard its definitely '08. Don't waste your time wit uic, okay. good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was checking their site and they have applications up for Fall 2008...wonder if they will get the pre candidate status...

ACPE will meet again in January to discuss accreditation status. CSU does have the fact that ACPE is based in Chicago, and that might work against them. The people at ACPE might be more familar with its reputation, and the fact that they just went through a major scandal involving financial aid.

ACPE will meet again in January to discuss accreditation status. CSU does have the fact that ACPE is based in Chicago, and that might work against them. The people at ACPE might be more familar with its reputation, and the fact that they just went through a major scandal involving financial aid.

What was the financial aid scandal about?

From the CSU website:
It sounds like they're really not sure if they will be approved for precandidate status.

If they're telling applicants to make deposits at other schools "as a precaution" - it doesn't sound very good.

Does anyone know why they are having difficulty with the precandidate application?

"Applicants accepted to the Chicago State University College of Pharmacy will be accepted provisionally until final approval for precandidate status is granted. (This is common practice for any new college or school of pharmacy and not unique to Chicago State University) In the event precandidate status is not approved by July 2008, all required fees and deposits will be refunded to the applicant within four weeks. If precandidate status is approved, the deposit will be credited toward tuition for Fall 2008. No student will matriculate into the program until precandidate status is achieved.

As a precaution, applicants are strongly encouraged to apply to multiple colleges or schools of pharmacy and to hold at least one additional offer of admissions by making the appropriate deposit to that school."

From the CSU website:
It sounds like they're really not sure if they will be approved for precandidate status.

If they're telling applicants to make deposits at other schools "as a precaution" - it doesn't sound very good.

Does anyone know why they are having difficulty with the precandidate application?

"Applicants accepted to the Chicago State University College of Pharmacy will be accepted provisionally until final approval for precandidate status is granted. (This is common practice for any new college or school of pharmacy and not unique to Chicago State University) In the event precandidate status is not approved by July 2008, all required fees and deposits will be refunded to the applicant within four weeks. If precandidate status is approved, the deposit will be credited toward tuition for Fall 2008. No student will matriculate into the program until precandidate status is achieved.

As a precaution, applicants are strongly encouraged to apply to multiple colleges or schools of pharmacy and to hold at least one additional offer of admissions by making the appropriate deposit to that school."

Word. Don't apply to Chicago State.

According to information I searched on ACPE website, their site visit was not authorized. Will ACPE consider them for pre-candidate status? I don't know if they will have the site visit again after Jan?

A scandalous financial aid situation huh? I think I would keep my thousands of dollars right where they are and just wait until next year, if thats the only school you applied to. The Hawaii thing just keeps crossing my mind and ACPE is a really hardcore organization...you have to think that because of the previous scandal they will be grilled 10x harder this time around!

But who knows, maybe they have hired better people to run the show and its a whole new outfit? If thats the case then no worries.

whats the scandal?? and would anyone recommend applying there...

.... Probably not. :rolleyes:

Another thing to consider: this school seems to be located in a very high crime area of the south side of Chicago from its address. Isn't that true?

Members don't see this ad :)
The financial aid scandal was big news here. They were getting kickbacks by recommending certain lenders.
Here's some info
http://www.illinipundit.com/2007/05/25/audit-critical-chicago-state-university
http://www.newamerica.net/pressroom...michael_dannenberg_on_college_officials_stock
The school has been close to bankruptcy, also.

CSU is at the end of the Red Line at 95th and King Dr. It is in Bronzeville. The crime rate is higher there than at UIC.
If site visit is not authorized in January, ACPE meets again in June/July.
Their undergraduate graduation rate is one of the lowest in the state.
They were denied an on-site visit this past summer. I don't know why, but I heard one of the reasons was because of their proposed recruitment policy. The policy has not made friends with the state board of pharmacy, rumor says.

Yah, CSU's reputation around Chicago and Illinois is not the greatest.

It also has the reputation of being VERY easy to get in to.

"the university's president spent public funds to attend two extended "leadership seminars" aboard cruise ships in the Caribbean and Mediterranean, bringing five family members along on one, state officials said Thursday. University employees also spent thousands of dollars on meals, alcohol, theater tickets and first-class airfare, often without giving any reason for the expenses, according to a state audit released Thursday."

I read that the president's excuse for this was that she "mixed up" the cards and didn't realize what she was doing.

This university has the lowest average ACT of any Illinois public school. The last I heard it was 18.

Has anyone actually began applying to this school?

James I contacted the school to ask questions about some of their application instructions. They are doing rolling admissions. They are also having an info session on Dec 8th, if you live in the Chicago area. I might go to check it out and see what the area is like. I might not apply though because they don't take supervisor recommendations, and my health professional recommender is pretty sick at the moment:(

Let me know if you have any other questions

http://www.pharmacytimes.com/issues/articles/2006-12_4149.asp

Chicago State University is 1 step closer to opening a college of pharmacy. The retail chain Walgreens is donating $1 million over a 5-year period to help fund program development for the pharmacy school. The university, which received approval for the pharmacy program in April, wants to help encourage more minority graduates into careers as pharmacists.
The grant will help with operating costs for employing faculty members, hiring administrative staff members, and recruiting students. The pharmacy school will start with ~68 students and increase to ~100 students per year. The pharmacy school program will take 6 years, according to the university. The college is scheduled to open in the fall of 2008.
"We have 2 main focuses for community involvement: health care and education," said Michael Polzin, spokesman for the retail pharmacy chain. "And this gives us an opportunity to address both of those concerns. What this will do, it's going to open a career path to Illinois students who otherwise may not have had this opportunity."

Current ACPE status:

Chicago State University College of Pharmacy
An on-site evaluation was not authorized. The institution was advised to resubmit an appropriately revised application.

how do you apply to this school?

There was another controversy surrounding this school just a few months back. The school is not stable.
Also, Walgreens donates highly to any Illinois pharmacy school because they are headquartered in Deerfield, IL.
The fact is the opening of this school will cause a small surplus of pharmacists in Illinois.

It also sounds like this school is also in a very dangerous location too! It is another Camden, NJ!!

Has anyone completed there application to CSU yet? Or close to completing?

This school was denied a visit from ACPE...they can't get pre-candidate status without the visit.

I received an email from the school today... anyone else? PM me if you feel thats necessary

What'd they have to say?

I didn't apply there due to the fact they require LORs from two different health advisors...wtf?

What'd they have to say?

I didn't apply there due to the fact they require LORs from two different health advisors...wtf?

Two different health advisors? I thought it was just one...Ill recheck their website but I can swear it was two professors and one pharmacist. If Im right then you still have plenty of time to apply

Oh maybe it was just one. But one too many. What is a health advisor anyway? If they are the people in the counseling office that tell you what classes you should take then I don't know how they could write a decent LOR. oh well.

Oh maybe it was just one. But one too many. What is a health advisor anyway? If they are the people in the counseling office that tell you what classes you should take then I don't know how they could write a decent LOR. oh well.

They mean like a pharmacist that you know that you get advise about pharmacy school from or MD whatever, Im pretty sure just about every school requires that

Oh ok, I guess the way they worded it threw me off :)

"These letters must be from a science professor, from a pre-health/academic advisor and from a pharmacist or other health professional familiar with you"

Who did you use for your 'pre-health/academic advisor' ?

jamesl1585, you said you got an email from CSU. Was it for an acceptance? When did you apply? I applied beginning of January and got an email saying my app was being reviewed and I would hear something in 2-4 weeks. Anyone know how many people have been interviewed/admitted??

jamesl1585, you said you got an email from CSU. Was it for an acceptance? When did you apply? I applied beginning of January and got an email saying my app was being reviewed and I would hear something in 2-4 weeks. Anyone know how many people have been interviewed/admitted??

I applied very early... like 2 weeks after the application was up? I just got that same email like yesterday though... when'd you get your email? And I dont know if anyone has interviewed yet... a lot of people are shy about admitting they have applied to CSU because the people on this board bash the school so much which is sad... but whatever I would love to be in their first initial class... that'd be an honor! Anyways Why dont we keep each other posted... and by the way are you in Chicago? Im in TX

jamesl1585- yeah, ppl dont seem so keen on CSU, but i think getting to be apart of an inaugural class would be awesome. and i dont know if alot of ppl on this forum are from the boonies, but the southside of chicago is NOT that scary. im a born and raised chicagoan and the campus is not some big bad scary place that ppl are making it out to be. i went there to check out the campus and meet with someone from the pharm school staff-- everyone is super nice and really helpful. i honestly would love to get in. i got the email a week/week and a half ago? im really stressed out about this whole admissions process.

I am interested in applying but I'm still hesitant about the whole pre-candidate status situation. So what happens if they don't get it? I am not sure how this all works.

I am interested in applying but I'm still hesitant about the whole pre-candidate status situation. So what happens if they don't get it? I am not sure how this all works.

On their website, you do spend however much it is for the application but it does stress to apply to other schools, and they also say that they will refund you your money if they do not get their proper accredidations by the fall... so really its like what do you have to lose?

thats true JamesL. You said you got a letter? Was it an interview invite?

the school is in a bad area in chicago....not good reputation among other schools..i was accepted in their masters degree before and i visited the school and the labs..i would rate the facilities and the labs 5/10

I just received a postcard from this school with a number written on the back asking me to contact them. This isn't an interview is it? Has anyone received an interview invite from them, and if so, what format was it in? Thanks guys :)

I just received a postcard from this school with a number written on the back asking me to contact them. This isn't an interview is it? Has anyone received an interview invite from them, and if so, what format was it in? Thanks guys :)

Starsmich: No it wasnt..
And Pharmdreamin Im not sure, nothing like that but will you keep us posted? And good luck to you, that would be good if it is a interview

anyone hear anything yet from chicago state?? i heard they had their first round of interviews two fridays ago.. with 12 applicants. anyone else interview? get accepted??

anyone hear anything yet from chicago state?? i heard they had their first round of interviews two fridays ago.. with 12 applicants. anyone else interview? get accepted??

Oh wow! Ittybitty, did you have your interview yet? And remember that letter that we all got, have u heard anything back in the 2-4 weeks yet?? But thanks for the info about tellling us that the interviews have begun, thats exciting news,

Hey All,
I was one of about 9 students to be among the first to be interviewed at Chicago State.
I really liked the faculty and the vision the school has outlined.
It was a good experience...if there are any specific questions I'll answer them as they are asked.

Hey All,
I was one of about 9 students to be among the first to be interviewed at Chicago State.
I really liked the faculty and the vision the school has outlined.
It was a good experience...if there are any specific questions I'll answer them as they are asked.

Wow only 9? How many people have applied there?

I'm not sure how many applications they have gotten...sorry.

However, they are only accepting 84 students.

They said they kept the number of interviewees low because they really want to get to know the applicants.

They said they kept the number of interviewees low because they really want to get to know the applicants.

Cool. So when do you find out if you got in or not? I was going to apply, but decided not to due to issues with fulfilling the recommender requirements. Maybe you should tell people what your stats are, so that they have an idea of what CSU is looking for in their applicants.

Can you please tell ur stats?