Chief Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctahB

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just elected chief resident for my residency program. What sage words of wisdom do you have to pass on?

Members don't see this ad.

You'll be glad when it's over. Sorry, but it's the truth. I wish I could speak well of the position, I really do, but I'm a terrible liar.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m so glad I turned the position down. It’s a horrible babysitter position imo.

Members don't see this ad :)
me too lol. They asked me twice but I turned down eventually. The chiefs at my program got their head spinning every single time someone called out sick to find coverage.

Just elected chief resident for my residency program. What sage words of wisdom do you have to pass on?

I was nominated for chief resident. The decision ultimately came down to: 1) Either a really chill year consisting of mostly electives, or 2) A giant stress-filled pain in the ass. I chose the former. My C.V. didn't need the extra padding.

• Okay...
Reactions: 4 users
chief is a suckers job

Reactions: 3 users
Lol this thread is so negative but true

Reactions: 1 users
Its a lot more work for little perceived benefit. I was happy to make hopefully positive changes, but it was definitely challenging to balance with a home life and clinical responsibilities.

Reactions: 1 user
I can assure you from personal experience that being chief is a nightmare. My only advice is enjoy not being chief while it lasts, because the pain train never stops until you graduate. The only upside is that you will develop managerial skills that are professionally useful and it does look better than I realized on a resume.

Reactions: 1 user
There was a Chief Resident CME that our newly elected chiefs for 2021-2022 went to for professional development.

Biggest pearl for any chief to learn is that "No." is a complete sentence. I was asked to be chief and I declined due to not enjoying politics and admin burden. But, the one thing I have noticed in my program with the current chiefs and with years past are two pitfalls

1) Letting people run over them
2) Taking on more than they can chew - hindering education and wellness

If you are tasked to make the call schedule, there usually is 1-2 that will complain about everything or always ask to switch. Set some boundaries and escalate to the PC/APD/PD if they make things hectic. One chief made it her goal to change 15 things in the program and took every resident complaint as her own and fought against administration to be a resident advocate. Unfortunately, it took up too much time that was previously spent with family or studying. The discipline part can be hard, and this is coming from someone that just wants everyone to get along. Some LOVE the discipline aspect, others hate it, you'll find out which end you fall in the first few months.

1. Ask for dates from the residents for days off and make the call schedule EARLY! Once you have finished the call schedule it is no longer your job to switch calls that is between the residents. Do this and your life will be much easier. The longer you wait to put out the schedule the more shifting/shuffling you will have to do.
2. For discipline as long as it is not too terrible tell the resident to stop or make amends. Tell them "Please don't force me to discipline you because you know I would hate to." Second infraction they take extra call from someone else. Start by making them take your call. You won't feel so bad having the night/day off.
3. Realize you are not going to please everyone and that is not your job.
4. Don't let residents complain without a plan of action. Always ask what would you like me to do?
5. Same with attendings
6. Realize your attendings will know you may make mistakes, be willing to fix/change without getting aggravated, this is learning and part of the job.
I can't stress 1. enough.

Reactions: 2 users
I actually liked being the chief resident. I did the schedule for clinic and call and vacation. I tried to be fair for everyone but never had to take any bad shifts. I had a great group of residents who did what there were supposed to do and weren't dicks.

I actually liked being the chief resident. I did the schedule for clinic and call and vacation. I tried to be fair for everyone but never had to take any bad shifts. I had a great group of residents who did what there were supposed to do and weren't dicks.
You were lucky to have responsible residents. My program has 3-4 residents (out of 70+) and whenever, you hear someone call off, you can bet it will be one of these 3.

You were lucky to have responsible residents. My program has 3-4 residents (out of 70+) and whenever, you hear someone call off, you can bet it will be one of these 3.
My residency program only had 17 residents so there was no excuse and always knew what every was doing and where they were supposed to be.