Chief Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrQuinn

My name is Neo
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was just named Chief Resident for our program. Its a small program, so we only have one chief (only six residents a year). Thing is, we've never had a PGY-3 class (since I'm in the charter class of 2006). So I was hoping any old schoolers and any other chiefs could give a couple hints or pearls for me. Not sure if I'm attending the conference in NYC in a couple weeks, I just found out I was chief. I know there have to be some chiefs out there trolling SDN.

Q

Members don't see this ad.

QuinnNSU said:
So I was just named Chief Resident for our program. Its a small program, so we only have one chief (only six residents a year). Thing is, we've never had a PGY-3 class (since I'm in the charter class of 2006). So I was hoping any old schoolers and any other chiefs could give a couple hints or pearls for me. Not sure if I'm attending the conference in NYC in a couple weeks, I just found out I was chief. I know there have to be some chiefs out there trolling SDN.

Q

Ok, I was Chief in well.....ok, 1999...$%#@!

1-The sudden headache at 3am is NOT a SAH! Just a varient migrain, but at least get the MRI anyway, cause you know you won't get the LP.

2-For things contraversial it is easiest to DIY...welcome to the world sacrifice, but that is usually a key reason how you got to be chief anyway. that being said as the First inagural chief you WILL set the tone for later years.

3-Obviously the lead by example seems passay but it does work.

4-i truely view Chiefs as apprentice faculty, who through are training still in EM, lear significant OTJ administrative skills. I'm sure you have a go to clinical metor, find an in house admin mentor with whom can speak candidly

5-I would REALLY try to get to the SAEM chief resident conferance , if only for that day even, it is an excellent introduction to the position and a great way for you to make some contacts to troubleshoot the usual growing pains.

Congrats and Good luck

Paul

QuinnNSU said:

Q

Can't obviously offer any personal advice, but just extend my congratulations. Way to go, Quinn! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been saddled with the scheduling duties...use a separate email gmail or something with lots of storage so you can keep everything separate from your own stuff....save everything and keep it all divided out in separate folders for months so you can refer back when people tell you they've switched or been gipped or they've got the most important event of their adult life for which they need the day off (AGAIN!...seriously this can only happen so often!)

best of luck!

QuinnNSU said:

Q

Don't ask questions, make statements. The only way to cut through the crap and get done what needs to be done. People are inherently lazy -- I think it's key to remember that residency is our JOB. We get paid and have responsibilities outside of simply working clinical hours. It's a sucky job, but our job nonetheless.

And graphs really help drive home that yes, you really are working as many nights as everyone else.

QuinnNSU said:
So I was just named Chief Resident for our program.
Congratulations and condolances. I was assistant chief my 3rd year, and they offered me a faculty spot during job-hunting season. "Chief" looks good on the CV but it's a thankless and painful job. First find out just what is expected of you from the faculty. What specific duties do they want to you take care of? Feel free to bring any preconceived notions of what you think the job ought to be when you discuss it with them.

In my program, part of the Chief duties consisted of arranging the schedule for all the residents including the visiting residents from other services. It also required making a good bit of the lecture schedule and finding/coercing people into giving those lectures. The other tough part of the job is listening to the complaints of your fellow residents and trying to phrase them in such a way as not to upset the more sensitive faculty, then coming back and explaining to the residents why they can't necessarily have things exactly the way they want them.

My word of wisdom would be to approach this like a regular office job. In other words, document EVERYTHING and keep all correspondence. If you have to make the schedule, require all requests by email, make sure everything is confirmed in writing or email, and keep all of it. I don't think you need a new email address, just have a rule in your mail program to file all chief stuff into its own folder.

:) :) :)
Congrats, Q. I couldn't imagine it going to a better person, well maybe Tony! (LOL). I am sure you will set the standard for the chiefs of the future at USF. You are going to have to change your signature at the end of your posts now.

BC.

Ha ha...couldn't get out of it huh. I'm ashamed of you. You only had a 17% chance of being chief (1/6.) We have THREE chiefs out of our class of 11 and I managed to avoid it--(27%, much more difficult.) I've done way too many things in my life because it "looks good on the CV." Didn't need another. For those up and comers, here's how to avoid making Quinn's mistake.

HOW TO NOT BE CHIEF

1) The chief will be chosen around halfway through the second to last year (2nd year for 3 year programs and 3rd year for 4 year programs.) Keep in mind that all these techniques need to be implemented by then.

2) Inform all the current chiefs that although you'd be willing to be chief if asked, you would prefer not to, or some other similar statement.

3) Find out which attendings are on the committee to choose the chiefs, and be sure to really piss off one of them. You need not piss off all of them, nor be a slacker, but its key to have someone rooting against you.

4) Don't answer the last 50 questions on the inservice. For some crazy reason, attendings get impressed if you do well on that PASS-FAIL test.

5) Since the chiefs always get some kind of funky retreat or get sent to SAEM or whatever, be sure to hold a party and invite the entire class except the chief(s), that way they'll really feel like a loner.

Ha ha, just kidding. Congratulations Quinn.

Thanks for all the great advice (especially Desperado's). Keep it coming.

It really should be interesting being the first chief... like someone said I get to set the tone for the future chiefs. I meet with the PD sometime next week to discuss the role.

Basically since our program started, our PD was our "chief."

Q

As chiefs we had two main responsibilities. The first was the weekly conferences and the second was resident scheduling. Scheduling was by far the more difficult and had the most potential for conflict. I made a 3x5 foot blank annual template which we laminated. Then we could write on it with erasable pens. We must have written and erased it dozens of times generating a schedule that gave everyone all their required rotations, electives, and vacations while making sure that we were meeting all of our residencies obligations to various services. Then one month in we erased it all again for someones new maternity leave requirements. Then the next month we lost a resident and erased it all again. Then the next month we pulled out of two ED's and rewrote it yet again.

For the monthly schedule we had a set of excel spreadsheets that would automatically fill many shifts based on a template. If you were good with excel you could write it so it would make sure you didn't have somebody schedule for back to back shifts or worse scheduled to be in two ED's for the same shift.

The two biggest lessons I learned was first make sure that you require all scheduling requests to be made in advance in writing and save everything people send you. That way when they claim they asked for Aug 13th off for grandma's wedding you can show them that they didn't. Second, always make sure that your schedule is as bad or worse than most if not all the other residents. That way when resident A complains that resident B is working fewer nights you can tell resident A to shut up since you are working even more nights. Some years we had chiefs that took this approach and they were generally admired and respected. Other years the chiefs took a more selfish approach and they were generally despised.

QuinnNSU said:

Q

I'll be doing the same here in Cleveland for 05-06.

mike

Congrats! Ditto what a bunch of the other posters have said, particuarly the advice about keeping all email correspondence. A few other random thoughts:

-Shelve your emotions (temper!) as much as possible. People will bait you unintentionally and otherwise. If they they they're irritating you with their antics, it's just blood in the water.

-Get all sides of the story in conflicts before taking action. Everybody's got a story, and sometimes things turn out to be a simple misunderstanding or a non-issue entirely

-Don't hesitate to phone a friend. When you start to get that sinking feeling that you're out of your league, don't hesitate to talk to a faculty mentor or the associate or program director. If a problem is snowballing, you're better off getting them in the loop early and by your choice than when they hear the rumbling of an avalanche.

-Be Chiefly -- you're visible in a big way now, both for the residents and faculty. If you want to be respected, step up to the plate and "lead by example".

-Don't ask anyone to do something you wouldn't be willing to do yourself. This is particularly helpful with scheduling. I found that if I gave myself either the toughest or one of the toughest schedules (extra nights), people were extremely reluctant to complain to me, lest I offer to swtich out some of my nights for their friend's brother's 2nd cousin's bachelor party they made a late request for.

-Don't lose your sense of humor!

Quinn!!!!
Congrats!... Man I have been on here too long. I remember when you were talking about the new program and now you almost DONE (hell, I'm just finishing up my first year here at COMP). Just want to say Thanks for all you help and advice and most importantly HUMOR. Congrats and keep us posted on how things go. :D
-Ryan

I, for one, think it would be really cool to have your residents call you Master Chief. And if they don't like that? WHAM! Melee right in the back of the head. :)

San_Juan_Sun said:
I, for one, think it would be really cool to have your residents call you Master Chief. And if they don't like that? WHAM! Melee right in the back of the head. :)
Oh my! In honor of your great post, I have changed my Avatar.

I'm going to "running riot" all over the schedule!

Q

did someone mention snowballing? Not a safe word here in the EM forum, I've learned. :laugh: