Chief Resident?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrChandy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's a chief resident and what are the responsibilities involved in being one in an EM program? How is being a chief resident different from being a regular resident? (Sorry if this has been asked before; the search function is down).

Members don't see this ad.

DrChandy said:
What's a chief resident and what are the responsibilities involved in being one in an EM program? How is being a chief resident different from being a regular resident?
Usually you're responsible for scheduling the residents for their shifts, scheduling lectures, and supervising the residents in an administrative role.

Basically, a chief resident is a supervisor of sort. They're usually in the process of being groomed for an academic position after they finish.

Some programs automatically make every senior resident a chief resident (i.e., surgery programs), but this is very rare in emergency medicine. In fact, I do not know of a single program that does this.

Most programs choose 2 or 3 senior residents to be their chiefs during their last year of residency. Some programs require an additional year when you are selected (and accept) as a chief. This is very common in many pediatric and medicine programs, but isn't that common in emergency medicine programs. Only a handful come to mind.

southerndoc said:
Usually you're responsible for scheduling the residents for their shifts, scheduling lectures, and supervising the residents in an administrative role.

Basically, a chief resident is a supervisor of sort. They're usually in the process of being groomed for an academic position after they finish.

Some programs automatically make every senior resident a chief resident (i.e., surgery programs), but this is very rare in emergency medicine. In fact, I do not know of a single program that does this.

Most programs choose 2 or 3 senior residents to be their chiefs during their last year of residency. Some programs require an additional year when you are selected (and accept) as a chief. This is very common in many pediatric and medicine programs, but isn't that common in emergency medicine programs. Only a handful come to mind.

Thanks for responding. So in most EM programs, who's responsible for doing the stuff that a chief resident would normally do?

Most, if not all residency programs, have one or more chief residents.