Chief Year and competitiveness for NICU fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pedspeep2020

Reaction score
Hi All!

Currently a 2nd year peds resident heading towards a NICU fellowship. My program has offered me the opportunity to do a chief year after residency, and I'm wondering whether or not it would beneficial for me in terms of matching at a more top tier program, as I'm a DO.
I know in other peds specialties a chief year can add to competitiveness, not sure if NICU is one of those on the list?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Members don't see this ad.

In basically any peds specialty, a chief year helps. At the same time it's certainly not "required."

My understanding is that the job market in NICU is better than many other peds subspecialties. So, unless you want to stay in academia, why do you want to go to a "more top tier program?"

Members don't see this ad :)
It can look nice and be an additional boost but may not make up for any deficiencies in your application, if any.

I wouldn’t have this be the only reason for doing chief, personally. It’s a year of your life and depending on your program the administrative duties can be annoying as hell. If you think you’ll actually enjoy it, then go for it.

So, unless you want to stay in academia, why do you want to go to a "more top tier program?"
Even if one goes for private practice, wouldn't a fellowship from a big name program fetch better job opportunities down the lane!

Even if one goes for private practice, wouldn't a fellowship from a big name program fetch better job opportunities down the lane!
Idk. Maybe at some places. Other places probably won't care and may prefer grads from programs they are familiar with.

In any event, I'm not sure a hypothetical advantage that may or may not pan out is probably not worth a year of your life (especially since spending a year of your life still is no guarantee that you'll get into one of those "top" programs).

No. They want a warm body that generates money. That’s about it. I mean, if you come with some perks, ie business degree, project management, that might get you something. Also, knowing people who know people can kinda help, but everyone has friends, you just need the “right” friends.

Hi All!

Currently a 2nd year peds resident heading towards a NICU fellowship. My program has offered me the opportunity to do a chief year after residency, and I'm wondering whether or not it would beneficial for me in terms of matching at a more top tier program, as I'm a DO.
I know in other peds specialties a chief year can add to competitiveness, not sure if NICU is one of those on the list?

Thanks in advance for all the help!
It does, but it isn't a huge boost. If you are otherwise a strong candidate with strong scores and a bit of research as well as good evals (likely if you're selected as chief) then the effect is smaller. But, it is a year away from attending life/salary/loan repayment so it's a trade off. I'd look at it more in the "Do I want to be a chief?" perspective. If the idea of doing what chiefs do at your program makes you groan, don't do it, but if you'd like that role, then do it.

Reactions: 2 users
If you are specifically looking for a research, protected time, academic starting spot, then your ability to get a K01 or its equivalent matters more than the name of the program. If you went to a smaller program but did work competitive for this type of funding, it's better than going to a bigger name program where you didn't do that type of research. For clinical jobs, it doesn't matter much at all.

Why does "top tier" matter to you? Neo isn't really considered a competitive fellowship in peds (compared to PICU/PEM). I'm a current NICU fellow - I'm on our recruitment committee and our holistic review doesn't bias against DO. I chose not to do a chief year because I didn't want yet another year away from just babies and I didn't want yet another year of trainee pay.