Child Psych fellowship ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GATORANALYST

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been addressed before in the past. I tried a few searches but couldn't find anything that specifically answers my question. I'm hoping to finish my psych residency in the next year and move onto my child fellowship.

I was hoping to obtain a fellowship in Child in the New England area. The Boston Mass area is really my number one choice but I have heard that all of those programs are extremely competitive. I was under the assumption that programs like MGH were hard to get for Adult Psych, is it similiar for child as well? Can anyone that has any info on some of the programs in the New England area share some insight as to how competitive they are and if anyone is in a current program they like or dislike can you share a little as to why?

Thanks for the help:D

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, MGH/McLean is uber-competitive for C&A too (and for good reason, it really is an excellent all-around program). The programs at Cambridge and Children's haven been traditionally a little easier to match into, with Cambridge well regarded for its psychotherapy training (lots of attachment stuff) and Children's with an excellent CL reputation. The "common wisdom" (FWIW) is that Cambridge is pretty cush (no call, I believe) and Children's is the heavyweight in terms of workload, with MGH/McLean between the two. I believe that all 3 programs have (at least some) of their weekly didactics together.

Thanks for the info. What about some of the other programs in the Boston, Mass areas (tufts, umass, etc...) are they equally as competitive and equal in caliber as MGH, Cambridge, childrens?

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info. What about some of the other programs in the Boston, Mass areas (tufts, umass, etc...) are they equally as competitive and equal in caliber as MGH, Cambridge, childrens?

Thanks again!

Let the Harvard-centric jokes flow, but honestly, I had NO idea that they had C&A programs.

Thanks again!

I think that UMass basically only takes from within their program (i.e. their own adult residents); at least it used to be that way. I know more about the programs in CT, so if you expand your search beyond Boston or are interested in CT, feel free to PM me.

Good luck!

:)

I think that UMass basically only takes from within their program (i.e. their own adult residents); at least it used to be that way.

I interviewed at UMass in 2006. At that time the C&A spots were already being filled by the residents in the combined program. They would only interview for the fellowship if someone dropped out. You might want to just call them to verify, though.

I think that UMass basically only takes from within their program (i.e. their own adult residents); at least it used to be that way. I know more about the programs in CT, so if you expand your search beyond Boston or are interested in CT, feel free to PM me.

Good luck!

:)

Thanks. i would love to hear about th CT programs.

I can tell you about the program in Maine if you want to venture further northwards (only 2 hr from Boston). Just PM me.