child psych fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

might987

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why can't we use ERAS??

I'm so confused on that.

So we have to mail a separate packet to each program, so how does that work with letters of rec? Do we include it ourself in the application or need to give them envelopes to mail them directly since we waive our right?

Any advice on applying???

Members don't see this ad.

mail a separate packet to each program, give them envelopes to mail them directly

as for other tips - nothing special, you've applied to college and med schools already. not too different. be nice to everyone, especially secretaries / coordinators, apply early (aim to get your stuff in by the beginning of september) etc.

Why can't we use ERAS??

I'm so confused on that.

So we have to mail a separate packet to each program, so how does that work with letters of rec? Do we include it ourself in the application or need to give them envelopes to mail them directly since we waive our right?

Any advice on applying???

several years back one of our pgy-3s who was doing child wanted to go back to an area where she was from(and had family) to do her child residency......

she was a good applicant(as far as psychs go.....US grad, good resident, no red flags, etc) so her "application" consisted of shooting an email to the child PD and the secretary of the program to let them know she would be coming there.....

I didn't see it, but apparently it said something like this: "hey, I'm xxx xxx. I graduated med school from Baylor and am a pgy-3 at xxx. I passed all my step exams with average scores, and a hold a current license in xxx. I'm emailing to let you know I will be one of the new child fellows at your program this year. Does your program need a packet or something from me I need to fill out before I start?'

I know our program tends to take mostly our own people and is almost always full from in house. They review apps from out of house, but for the most part, the child fellowship is pretty much all the PGY-3's who were interested in child and wanted to stay on.

That said, Vistaril is right. Even child really isn't that tough to get a decent spot.